I - Weather condition in February
- The North Vietnam in February: The fog may come in the early morning and at night. The average temperature is about 17.4oC. The rainfall is as low as 22.3mm but the possibility of rain is quite high. In February, visitors mostly see drizzling rain stimulating the vitality of flora in spring.
- The Central region: The average temperature of the day is relatively comfortable at around 21.4oC. However, from 11 p.m to 13 p.m, the temperature can rise and reach 23oC. Due to the influence of the Southwest wind blowing from Laos and bringing heat along, the temperature of the Central Highlands may be slightly higher. The average rainfall in February in the whole area is about 22.3mm.
- The South region: This is the area experiencing the highest average temperature within Vietnam. In February, the temperature is about 26.4oC. Some days it can even grow above 30oC and the sunlight is quite harsh especially at noon. The precipitation is quite low, about 11.7mm.
II - Cultural tourism in Vietnam in February
1 - Vietnamese New Year
- The Lunar New Year in 2021 starts from February 12th, 2021 to February 16th, 2021 (from the first and fifth day of the first Lunar month in 2021)
- The Lunar New Year in 2022 starts from February 1st, 2021 to February 5th, 2022 (from the first to the fifth day of the first Lunar month in 2022)
Regarding Tet holiday, each region within the territory of Vietnam has its own unique cultural customs. However, visitors will find a diverse but consistent system of Vietnamese belief and culture. Tourists can experience Tet holiday anywhere in Vietnam but the best places to visit in Vietnam in February for Tet taste are Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
Note: 7 days before and after Tet holiday, the demand for traveling within Vietnam always increases, so the passenger transport company is often overloaded. Some accommodation, restaurant, and transportation services also stop working during those days. Accordingly, the services quality may not be good, while the cost is quite high. Travelers should have a plan to book tickets and accomodation in advance to ensure the quality and price of tourism service.
2 - Vietnamese traditional cultural festivals in February
Perfume pagoda festival
Having existed for more than 200 years since the 1770s, Perfume pagoda festival is one of the oldest festivals in Vietnam. This is a cultural ritual showing people's hope in the coming peaceful and lucky year as well as dispeling bad luck, and demons. At the festival, visitors will have the chance to sit on a boat wandering along the Perfume River while listening to Cheo singing, and join many other interesting activities.
- Time: From the 6th to 27th of the second lunar month. ( From February 17th to May 1st, 2021; from February 6th to April 30th, 2022, the main festival takes place from March 17th to March 22nd)
- Location: Huong Pagoda, Huong Son Commune, My Duc District, Hanoi
This is a famous festival in february in Vietnam which celebrates the Quan Ho singing (one intangible cultural heritage of Vietnam) taking place in Bac Ninh province. At the festival, visitors will understand more about this form of music via the images of “Quai thao” hat, “Tu than” dress (four-panel traditional dress shirts), and so on. In addition, visitors can also participate in some typical folk activities such as a cooking competition, a wrestling competition, a weaving competition, and a chess competition.
- Time: January 12-14 annually (according to the Lunar calendar). (From February 23rd to 25th, 2021; from March 14th to 16th, 2022).
- Location: Lim town, Tien Du district, Bac Ninh province
Ba Den mountain festival
It is one of the biggest spring festivals in the South region with numerous great and important religious activities. Additionally, visitors will have the chance to enjoy the amazing art performances and sports competitions as well as participate in many folk games.
- Time: the fourth day of the first Lunar month annually (February 15th, 2021; February 4th, 2022)
- Location: Thanh Tan Commune, Tay Ninh City, Tay Ninh Province, Vietnam.
Cau Ngu festival
Cau Ngu is a typical festival and a Vietnam festival february for the people living in the coastal area. With the desire to have a peaceful and prosperous year, people hold the festival from the tenth to twelfth day of the first Lunar month annually. The main activities of the festival include boat procession, unicorn dance, buying and selling fish, performing fishing scenes of fishermen on the communal stage, and so on.
- Time: 10 - 12 of the first Lunar month every year ( February 21st to February 23rd, 2021; from February 10th to 12th, 2022)
- Location: Thuan An fishing village, Thuan An town, Phu Vang district, Thua Thien Hue province.
Ba Thien Hau pagoda festival
This is one of the biggest Buddhist festivals in Vietnam. At the festival, visitors not only witness spiritual rituals such as palanquin procession or dragon flags procession but also join the stream of procession, enjoy the unicorn dance and explore the wishes of local people in the Southeast region when the new year comes.
- Time: from 13th to 15th of the first Lunar month (February 24th to 26th, 2021; February 13th to 15th, 2022)
III - Where to go in Vietnam in february
Phu Quoc island
Phu Quoc stands out with its primitive beauty and amazing natural beauty. Considered as the most beautiful beach on our planet, Phu Quoc is a must-see place if you are going to visit Vietnamese beaches and islands. Moreover, in February when the dry season comes, the sky is clear, rainfall is low, and the sea is calm, visitors will have a wonderful chance to enjoy beautiful and colorful coral reefs as well as explore the amazing scenes in the seabed [Read more...]
Hoi An is the ancient city nestled on the beautiful An Bang beach. Visiting in February, visitors can both experience marine tourism and cultural tourism. Moreover, the Hoi An climate in February is also favorable with less rain, so it is very suitable for tourist activities [Read more...]
Tay Nguyen (Central Highlands)
One of the best places to go in Vietnam in February is the central highland. This month is the most ideal time of the year to visit Central Highlands because the weather is extremely pleasant and the temperature is not too high. Therefore, you will have pretty time to experience outdoors activities, without feeling uncomfortable. At this time, visitors will also have the opportunity to attend many traditional festivals of indigenous people. Furthermore, during the time from February to March of the year, numerous kinds of flowers in the mountains and forests of the Central Highlands bloom beautifully.
In general, Vietnam tourism in February provides visitors with lots of interesting activities. The weather is also suitable for traveling. However, when coming to Vietnam in February, to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey, visitors should prepare themselves necessary items such as: hats, umbrellas to avoid unexpected rain and sun; sunscreen; anti-mosquito cream; long sleeve shirt; and so on. Hopefully, depending on your own schedule, visitors will prepare the most suitable plan for an unforgettable trip in Vietnam.
1 - What to wear in Vietnam in February?
In northern and north central Vietnam at this time, is still in the cold and rainy season with the average temperature is below 20oC, bring a jacket when traveling in these areas, especially in mountainous regions. Meanwhile, south central and south Vietnam are in dry season with high temperatures of around 25oC to 30oC, wearing casual clothes and street shoes is recommended.
2 - What should be in packing for Vietnam in February?
Normal necessities include: warm clothes, trekking (sport) shoes, scarves and umbrella or raincoat when visiting northern Vietnam. Comfortable clothes, sandals, hats and sunscreen for sunny days in central and southern Vietnam.
3 - How about mosquitoes in Vietnam in February?
February is the beginning of Spring in the North, this also is growing time of mosquitoes in wet areas. Tourists should bring some insect repellent cream when traveling in Vietnam,
4 - Which are the best beaches in vietnam in February?
Due to the cold weather in the north, while the south central and south Vietnam are in the dry season, Vung Tau, Con Dao island, Phu Quoc island are highly recommended for beach lovers.