Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States was established in August 1997 with basic functions such as promoting cultural relations between Vietnam and the US, supporting and protecting the Vietnamese community in a foreign country, serving the economic development of the country, uniformly managing foreign affairs, managing facilities as well as staff currently operating at the agency, promoting defense - security, and politics - society relations.
I - Services for American tourists to Vietnam in the Embassy of Vietnam in the United States
1 - Vietnam tourist Visa for American
Visitors can apply for a visa at the consular office of the Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States in Washington D.C., 1233 20th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036.
Procedure includes :
-1 online visa application form. Visitors can go to the website http://visa.mofa.gov.vn and fill out all information, then print the declaration and sign it. In case visitors cannot apply for a visa online, he/she can go directly to the embassy and use the available form.
-Passport (original or copy version). Note that this document must be valid for at least 6 months from the date the visitor is expected to enter Vietnam. In case the visitor is Vietnamese American with a Green card (permanent residence card), he/she can apply for visa exemption procedures for Vietnamese people residing overseas.
-1 4cm x 6cm (~ 2 inches x 2 inches) photo. Note that photos must be taken within the last 6 months, against a white background, eyes straight, bare head, no colored glasses, and hair not covering ears. In the case of tourists submitting a copy of the passport for the purpose of receiving a separate visa (issued into a separate sheet to include the passport), 2 photos must be submitted.
Fees: Visitors can pay fees by Credit Card / Visa Card / Master Card when submitting his/her application at the embassy of Vietnam in USA
2 - Visa exemption
This is a valid entry-exit document to Vietnam, issued to overseas Vietnamese or foreign tourists who are spouses and children of Vietnamese citizens. It can replace a Vietnam arrival visa for the purpose of handling private affairs or visiting relatives.
Visa exemption certificate has the longest period of 5 years which is 6 months shorter than the validity period of a passport or foreign residence document. It is also important to note that visitors entering Vietnam with a visa exemption certificate can stay in Vietnam for no more than 6 months in each entry, and be extended for up to 6 months if there is a justifiable reason.
For Vietnamese people residing in the United States:
- Application form for visa exemption (completed online via website http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/, printed out, stuck with a photo on)
- 2 photos size 4cm x 6cm in which 1 photo is glued to the application form, 1 photo is attached
- Passport or passport replacement document valid for at least 1 year. Visitors have to submit the original and 1 copy, then the embassy will keep the copy and return the original after pasting the visa exemption certificate.
- Papers proving that the tourist is Vietnamese residing abroad (the original and submit 1 copy for filing). The embassy will return the originals after checking and keep a copy for your dossier.
For foreigners who are spouses, children of Vietnamese people residing abroad, or of Vietnamese citizens
- Application form for issuance of Visa exemption certificate (online at http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/ or fill in the available form at the embassy of Vietnam in US), sign and paste photo on the form.
- 2 images sized 4cm x 6cm (~ 2 inches x 2 inches). Note that the photo has a white background, no hat, no colored glasses, and straight eyes. Out of 2 photos, 1 will be glued to the form, 1 will be attached to the form.
- Foreign passport or alternative travel document
- Presenting the original version of the documents proving the applicant is the spouse or the child of a Vietnamese citizen or a Vietnamese residing in the United States. For example, marriage certificate, birth certificate, paternity certificate, mother-child relationship certificate is suitable.
3 - Travel document
If you are residing in the United States for a limited time while holding a Vietnamese passport but unfortunately lost or no longer valid, you can apply for a travel document to return home.
- Application form (can be obtained from the embassy)
- In case the passport of tourist is lost, the application must be submitted as a report of loss of passport (note with confirmation from the local authority)
- In case of damaged passport: need to provide originals and copies without notarization (note to take photos of pages showing identity details, date of issue, issuing authority, passport number, visa page entering the United States Latest period)
- Copies of documents proving the tourist is residing in the United States issued by the US Immigration Service (I-20, DS-2019, I-797A)
Fee: Visitors pay with money order or cashier's check for Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States
- Related topic: Vietnam embassy in UK
II - Futher information about Vietnam Embassy in USA
1 - Contact information
- Address: Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the United States D.C, 1233 20th Street, NW, Suite 400, Washington DC 20036.
- Hotline: (202) 999-6589
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ambassador: Mr. Ha Kim Ngoc
2 - Day offs
The Embassy does not work every Saturday and Sunday and public holidays in the US. In addition, on major Vietnamese holidays such as the Lunar New Year, the death anniversary of the Hung King, Vietnam Independence Day, the embassy also takes a break from work.
3 - Consulate General of Vietnam Passport
Consulate General of Vietnam Passport was established in October 1997. Currently this agency accomplishes some main mission such as
- Promoting the comprehensive cooperation relationship between the two countries Vietnam and the United States, especially the West Bank states.
- Resolving consular procedures related to Vietnamese people as well as conducting civil protection work within the assigned consular area
Details of the consulates are shown as follows:
Consulate General of Vietnam in San Francisco
- Address: 1700 California Street, Suite 580, San Francisco, CA 94109
- Hotline: +1 415-922-0707, +1 415-922-1238
Planning and Investment Office
- Hotline: (415) 712 5090
- Email: email@example.com
Vietnam Trade Office in the USA
- Hotline: (415) 990 2636
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org hoặc email@example.com
Science and Technology Representative Office
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org hoặc email@example.com
Above is our introduction to the Embassy of Vietnam in the US. Hopefully, the information shared has helped visitors to get more useful information.