According to many recorded documents, coconut candy first appeared in Mo Cay district, Ben Tre Province - the land of coconut trees in Vietnam. It was created by Nguyen Thi Ngoc (1914) with the original name of Mo Cay coconut candy. It was not until 1970 that Nguyen Thi Vinh (1945) changed the processing way, produced more and commercialized the sweet. Obviously despite its appearance a long time ago, it was not until 1970 that coconut candy was produced in a larger scale and became a commercialized product.
I - Traditional coconut candy recipe
1 - Coconut candy Vietnam ingredients
The main ingredients of Coconut candy based on Ben Tre locals’ recipe include:
Coconut milk (as known as “sua dua”) is the juice from copra (coconut meat is scraped and chopped to small sizes) after being squeezed with a piece of mesh fabric. Note that the coconut milk taken from the first squeeze is the most delicious, nutritious and greasy.
Malt comes from the germ of sticky rice. The rice that are naturally incubated and sprouted to the expected growth will be used in the coconut candy making process.
Unrefined sugar (duong thung) was often preferable according to the Coconut candy recipe of the old Ben Tre locals. However, refined sugar is advised to use for making coconut candies with beautiful color and mild sweetness.
These are the traditional ingredients of Vietnamese coconut candy. You can add to the flavor of this sweet by mixing with durian, cocoa, peanut, pineapple, ...
2 - Vietnamese coconut candy recipe
The process of making and preparing standard ingredients for coconut candy can be found below:
- Step 1: Take the coconut flesh, remove the dry and hard brown shell. Then use a copra fiber planer. Freshly browned coconut is recommended.
- Step 2: Use a piece of mesh fabric or juicer to get the coconut milk. Note that only the first juice is taken to ensure the delicious taste of the coconut candy.
- Step 3: Mix coconut milk with malt and refined sugar; season and mix them well.
- Step 4: Put the mixture into the pan in low heat and stir until the candy reaches the expected consistency. Note that in this step you must stir it well because this mixture is easy to get burned.
- Step 5: Add flavor to the coconut candy if desired, then add coconut oil to make fattier taste. Pour the mixture into a prepared mold with parchment paper and wait to dry.
- Step 6: Cut into smaller bites, wrap them with parchment paper and enjoy. Coconut candy is likely to be cut in the size of 1cm x 1cm.
III - The famous Vietnamese coconut candy brands
Coconut candy has become a popular food not only in Vietnam. Here is a list of famous Vietnamese coconut candy brands that you can easily find and buy coconut candy abroad:
1 - Hai To coconut candy
Hai To or Ben Tre coconut candy brand was introduced in 1978. During 30 years of production, this unit has continuously improved its products and applied modern machines to the production line, helping the brand stand out in the market.
Besides the traditional flavored coconut candy bars, the unit has successfully researched and produced coconut sweet with many other flavors such as cocoa, ginger, durian, pineapple & durian, ... and the latest product is the coconut milk rice paper. In particular, now you can easily buy Hai To Vietnam Coconut Candy in many countries such as China, UK, USA, ... thanks to intermediate distributors.
- Production address: No. 379C, Nguyen Van Tu Street, Ward 7, Ben Tre Province
- Phone number: +84 888 818 899
- Website: https://www.bentredonga.com
2 - Thanh Long Coconut candy
Thanh Long Coconut Candy brand owner is Nguyen Thi Vinh (mentioned in the introduction). Up to now, her family has had 3 generations producing coconut candy, including her, her younger brother Nguyen Van Tao and two grandsons Nguyen Minh Tam and Nguyen Minh Tri with 03 production facilities and one branch in Ho Chi Minh City. Besides the main product Thanh Long coconut candy, you can find and buy many other Southern specialties such as: Vietnamese king wine, tea, coconut milk wine, rice paper, dried tamarind,...Thanh Long coconut candy committed to its delicious taste because the sweet is made of 100% wax coconut which makes it fatty, creamy and much flavored.
- Facility 1: 212B, Dong Khoi Avenue, KP5, Phu Khuong Ward, Ben Tre City
- Facility 2: 301/01, Hamlet 1, Son Dong Ward, Ben Tre City
- Facility 3: Highway 60, Chau Thanh Town, Ben Tre City
Phone number: +84 903 964 730
3 - Tuyet Phung Vietnam coconut candy
In more than 40 years of production, Tuyet Phung brand still preserves the delicious traditional flavor of this sweet. The application of modern production lines totally ensures food hygiene and safety.
Besides the traditional coconut candy, Tuyet Phung brand also develops many other delicious local specialties such as banana candy, fruit candy, ginger jelly, coconut water, coconut milk rice paper,...
- Production address: No. 56, Quarter 7, Mo Cay Town, Mo Cay Nam District, Ben Tre Province
- Phone number: +84 275 384 3011.
- Website: https://keoduatuyetphung.vn/
4 - Coceau Coconut candy
Despite being a new brand launched in 2014, Coceau Coconut candy has soon won the heart of customers for its delicious taste and mild sweetness while retaining the creamy flavour of natural coconut.
Coceau brand has built a large distribution and export system to Chinese and European markets. The typical products include extra rich Vietnamese coconut candy, coffee coconut candy, lollipop coconut candy, milk coconut chewy candy, ...
- Production address: No. 214A, Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Phu Chien Hamlet, Phu Hung Ward, Ben Tre City
- Phone number: +84 2753 833 728.
- Website: http://www.avc.com.vn
5 - Hong Van coconut candy
From the first start of the traditional household production unit of coconut candy, the Hong Van brand gradually found a firm foothold in the market thanks to the unique recipe and candy flavour. Then, the brand has step-by-step professionalized the production process with strictly ensured standards of food safety and hygiene.
In Particular, only this brand owns the combination of coconut candy production business and home garden tour model: you can both enjoy coconut candy and participate in other interesting activities. Along with coconut candy products, you can also find and buy many types of candies such as banana candy rolls, pineapple coconut candy, grilled coconut candy, brown rice coconut candy, ...
- Production address: An Phu hamlet, An Khanh commune, Chau Thanh district, Ben Tre province
- Phone number: +84 919 41 43 79.
- Website: https://keoduahongvan.vn/
It can be seen that Vietnam coconut candy is not only famous in Vietnam but also gradually preferable in the international market. If you have an opportunity to come to Vietnam, do not forget to enjoy this delicious candy as well as buy it as a gift for your relatives and friends.