I - What to do in Phu Quoc island Vietnam for more cultural experience
On Phu Quoc Island, there are many famous and sacred temples and pagodas. When visiting these places, you should dress discreetly, politely, not make loud noises and joke around there.
1 - Visit Cao Dai Church
- Address: No.40 Nguyen Trai street, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc
- Time: You can watch a simple worship ceremony at 6am and 12pm daily
The church was built in 1961, and belongs to Tay Ninh’s Cao Dai church. Coming here, you will immerse themselves in the fresh space with many kinds of flowers, in front of the sea, behind mountains. To get to this place, you will have to walk on the mossy green stone steps.
2 - Join Dinh Cau festival
- Address: Quarter 2, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc district
This is one of the best things to do in Phu Quoc island. The appropriate time to go to Dinh Cau is from April to June or from November to March, when the weather is nice, cool and suitable for a visit.
Dinh Cau Festival is held on the full moon day of the tenth lunar month every year. The first part of the festival is the ceremony part, including a solemn ceremony to welcome Cau (the God), a ceremony to report to Cau (the God), and many other ceremonies. The second part of the festival is expected by everyone with such games as walking on stilts, catching sea ducks, jumping sack,...
3 - Ho Quoc Pagoda, also known as Truc Lam Ho Quoc Zen Monastery
- Address: Suoi Lon hamlet, Duong To commune, Phu Quoc district, Kien Giang province
- Opening time: 06h00-18h00 on weekdays. Visiting the temple in the early morning or late afternoon is much more ideal.
For those who want to explore more about culture, visiting Ho Quoc pagoda is among the best Phu Quoc Vietnam things to do. This is the largest temple in the island, one temple of the Truc Lam Zen Monastery system in Vietnam. The temple attracts tourists with its sacredness and ancientity. You can come here and experience the Vietnamese style of praying for themselves and their family.
4 - Visiting Su Muon Pagoda
- Address: Suoi Da Hamlet, Duong To Commune, Phu Quoc District, Kien Giang Province
- Opening hours: 6am - 5pm
The pagoda was built with traditional architecture. Different from the solemn atmosphere in the main hall, the scenery around the temple is extremely airy and cool thanks to being surrounded by lush trees all year round, very suitable for those who love quiet spaces.
5 - Visit Phu Quoc Prison - top things to do in Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc Prison can be said to be the most famous place in Phu Quoc. Known as a "hell on earth", the old prison was the place to keep the communist prisoners during the Vietnam War between 1967 and 1973.
Through preserved artifacts and pictures, you have the opportunity to better understand the Vietnam War, and at the same time understand the war's inexpressible devastation.
Phu Quoc Prison offers free entrance for all visitors
6 - Sung Hung ancient pagoda
- Address: No.7 Tran Hung Dao street (near Dinh Cau night market), Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc district.
- Opening time: 7am -7pm
Visiting the oldest temples on the island is among the best Phu Quoc things to do. This temple is located on a mountain in the center of town, built with a very ancient folk architectural style: the shrine in front, the temple in the back
7 - Coi Nguon (Origins) Museum
Address: No.149 Tran Hung Dao, Duong Dong town, displaying antiques and art works in a variety of genres.
It can be said that Phu Quoc island can keep its soul also partly thanks to the Coi Nguon Museum. The reason is that the museum displays many artifacts recreating the history of Vietnam in general and Phu Quoc in particular from the time of the nation's construction up to now.
Admission fee to visit Coi Nguon Museum is 20,000 VND/ticket ($1)
II - What to do to in Phu Quoc to explore the daily life?
8 - Visiting the pepper farms
The pepper gardens here are of good quality and can be combined for green tourism at the same time. Some pepper gardens for tourism help you explore the process of planting, caring and harvesting pepper such as:
- Garden of Khu Tuong, Phu Quoc: Cua Duong, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang Province
- Phu Quoc Suoi Da pepper garden: Suoi Da hamlet, Duong To commune, Phu Quoc island.
- Phu Quoc Suoi Lon pepper park: Provincial road 46, Suoi Lon hamlet. This pepper garden is located on the way to Sao Beach, so before visiting Sao Beach, you can stop by the pepper garden for a bit to visit.
9 - Phu Quoc Bee Farm
Source: Annie Spratt
- Address: Hamlet 2, Cua Can Commune, Phu Quoc
- Opening hours: 9am - 5pm
This is the first research site to conserve honey bees in Phu Quoc. Learning about the behavior of honey bees & the usefulness of pollinators and why we must protect the living environment of bees is a great experience and things to do in Phu Quoc Vietnam for animal lovers & researchers.
10 - Pearl farm
Experiencing this activity in Phu Quoc island, you will be surprised when exploring how pearls are made. Currently, there are 3 largest cultured pearl farms in Phu Quoc:
- Ngoc Hien pearl: group 01, Duong To hamlet, Duong To commune, Phu Quoc district
- Quoc An pearl: Suoi May Hamlet, Duong To Commune, Phu Quoc District
- Long Beach Pearl: No.124 Tran Hung Dao, Duong To commune, Phu Quoc district
11 - Visiting at an organic farm at Phu Quoc Island
- Address: Suoi May, Duong To, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang
Visiting the organic farm is recommended as one of the most attractive activities in Phu Quoc island. You can witness the farming model of rare natural specialties such as black termite mushrooms, cordyceps, saffron,... In addition, you also have the opportunity to learn the process of making black termite mushrooms in Mito tomato sauce and enjoy unique and delicious dishes on the farm.
12 - Ham Ninh fishing village
Source: Phuong Nguyen Lan
- Address: Ham Ninh, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang province
- Opening time: 4am - 10pm
Visiting the organic farm is recommended as one of the most attractive activities in Phu Quoc island. You not only can immerse yourself in a peaceful space, but also learn about the cultural life of fishermen, have a chance to go to the sea, fish near the shore, learn about the lives of the people here. One of the specialties here is boiled crabs.
13 - Shopping at Duong Dong market
- Address: No.21 Tran Phu, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang province
- Opening time: 3am - 7pm on weekdays
So what to do in Phu Quoc island next? It must be shopping at Duong Dong market. Duong Dong Market is also a popular tourist destination for tourists to Phu Quoc. You should choose to buy dried seafood: dried fish, dried squid, fish sauce - Phu Quoc specialties as gifts. In the market, there are also many delicious dishes from Phu Quoc: vermicelli, porridge, cake soup, etc with the price from 30,000 VND ($1.3).
14 - Dinner at Dinh Cau night market
- Address: Vo Thi Sau, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc district, Kien Giang province
- Opening time: 5pm - 10pm on weekdays
Visiting Dinh Cau night market, enjoying local delicious seafood dishes and taking some specialties home are things to do in Phu Quoc at night.
15 - Explore the process of producing fish sauce in fish sauce houses
Source: Thao Le
Visiting and exploring the production process of pure Vietnamese fish sauce from sea fish is an experience that you should not miss when coming to Phu Quoc. You can also buy some products as gifts. Product price is 100,000 - 200,000VND/liter ($4 - 8).
The 3 famous Phu Quoc fish sauce houses:
- Phu Quoc Khai Hoan fish sauce house: No.11 Hung Vuong Bridge, Duong Dong Town, Phu Quoc, visiting time from 7:00 to 20:00 every day.
- Phung Hung fish sauce house: Nguyen Van Cu, Quarter 4, Phu Quoc District, Kien Giang Province, visiting time from 9:00 to 21:00 every day.
- Thinh Phat fish sauce house: Road 30, Quarter 1, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc, visiting from 8:00 to 17:00 on weekday
16 - Explore the process of producing Rose myrtle wine - top things to do in Phu Quoc
Exploring the process of producing rose myrtle wine is recommended as one of the best things to do in Phu Quoc island. Rose myrtle wine in Phu Quoc has long been famous and considered as a specialty of this island. At the rose myrtle wine production facilities, you will learn about the process of making delicious wine drops. You can buy gifts with prices from 150,000 - 200,000 VND/ bottle ($6 - 8.5).
Bay Gao rose myrtle wine manufacturer
- Address: No.124, 30/4 Street, KP1, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc.
- Time: 7am - 10pm
Thanh Long rose myrtle wine manufacturer
- Address: No.47 provincial road, Duong To, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang
- Time: 7:30am - 6pm
Sim Son rose myrtle wine manufacturer
- Address: Group 01, Cua Lap Hamlet, Phu Quoc, Kien Giang
- Time: 7:30am - 6pm
17 - Enjoy seafood
What to do in Phu Quoc? (Source: Menú Acapulco)
It’s quite a pity if you come to Phu Quoc without enjoying seafood. The types of seafood you must try when coming to Phu Quoc are:
Ham Ninh Phu Quoc Crab
Ham Ninh crab is only available in Phu Quoc, small but firm, delicious and very popular, with prices from 500,000 VND / kg ($21.6).
- Bien Xanh restaurant in 47 provincial road, Ham Ninh, Phu Quoc city, Kien Giang province
- Ham Ninh Crab – Salt pepper Restaurant - at No.112 Bach Dang, Phu Quoc city, Kien Giang
Phu Quoc sea chestnut
In Phu Quoc, you cannot ignore the grilled sea chestnut. Sea chestnuts are grilled with onion oil, which tastes fatty and delicious. You will never forget its flavor once you eat it. Average price from 20,000 VND / head ($0.9).
- Oc 343 – No. 343, 30/4 street, Quarter 1, Duong Dong Town
- Nho Seafood Restaurant - Located in Dinh Cau - Vo Thi Sau Night market
Phu Quoc sweet snail
Sweet snails are raised by local people to serve as cuisine on the island and are considered a specialty of the island. Price from 550,000 VND / kg ($22.9)
- Address: Ra Khoi Restaurant – No.131, 30/4 Street, Duong Dong Town
Seafood – bitter bolete soup
Bitter bolete is a kind of mushroom that appears for only 1 month in Phu Quoc, so there is very little of it in the market. Having a beautiful purple color and delicious taste, the mushroom is processed into a delicious seafood-bitter bolete soup that attracts customers. The price for each bowl is about 330,000 VND ($14.15) for 4-5 people.
- Ngan Ha Seafood, On Tran Hung Dao Street, opposite to Ngoc Hien Pearl Showroom
- Bien Hai Restaurant - Coastal Seafood - Group 1, Ganh Dau Hamlet, Ganh Dau Commune
Phu Quoc sardinella raw fish salad
- Vuon Tao Restaurant - Cua Lap, Duong To Commune, Phu Quoc District, Kien Giang
- Trung Duong Marina Restaurant - at 30/4 Street, Duong Dong, City. Phu Quoc, Kien Giang.
- Price 100,000 VND ($4.32)/bowl for 2-3 people.
Enjoy abalone is one of the best things to do in Phu Quoc. Abalone has long been considered as a viand of the sea because of its high nutritional value. Abalone has various prices, from about 500,000VND ($21.65) to about 1,990,000VND ($86.6) a kilogram. Abalone will be weighed as you buy and the shop may process it if you wish after weighing is completed.
- Ngheu So Oc Hen Restaurant - at 30/4 Street, Duong Dong, Phu Quoc city, Kien Giang
Crab blood pudding
Crab blood pudding dish is loved by both residents and visitors. People will choose the crabs that have just been caught and the ones with lots of tomalley to make a delicious and nutritious blood pudding. The average price is from 50,000 - 60,000 VND ($2.17 - 2.6)/serving.
- Ra Khoi Restaurant – No.131, 30/4 Street, Duong Dong TownTop-rated restaurants in Phu Quoc island
18 - Enjoy fruits on the island
Fruits on Phu Quoc Island are very diverse in types and flavors. You can enjoy succulent and fresh fruit such as durian, rambutan, custard-apple,... at fruit orchards along the roads in Duong Dong town.
III - Phu Quoc islands activities in nature discovery
19 - Swimming in the sea, playing in Aquatopia water park
Source: Sun World
At Aquatopia Water Park, you will feel lost in a space overwhelmed with more than 20 games for both children and adults, with ticket prices ranging from 200,000 VND ($8.7) - 600,000 VND ($26). In addition to the games, you can also take pictures with your friends because there are dark galleries filled with works of art here. Coming to these galleries, you feel like you are lost in the faraway splendid and beautiful Paris.
20 - Phu Quoc National Park - a must do in Phu Quoc island
This place still remains untouched, primeval old forests. In particular, you can encounter orchids, large trees, or herbs such as mint, mung bean, licorice ... or experience spring bathing, climbing the mountain, etc.
Tickets to visit Phu Quoc National Park is 500,000VND ($21.9)/person/time. Ticket price for children, the elderly: 400,000VND ($17.3)/person/time (only applicable to children from 1.0m - under 1.4 m tall).
21 - Explore Suoi Tranh waterfall - one of the best Phu Quoc things to do
Suoi Tranh is a tourist destination located about 9km to the south of Duong Dong town center, Phu Quoc island district. Suoi Tranh has many white rugged falls, charming natural scenery. You can go along from the foot of the stream to the upstream to enjoy the beautiful scenery and you must definitely immerse yourself in the cool clear water. In addition, visiting magical caves is also an attractive activity.
22 - Explore Phu Quoc Safari
Vinpearl Safari Phu Quoc is a semi-wild zoo, gathering nearly 3,000 animals and plants. Visiting this amuseum park is one of the best Phu Quoc things to do with kids and families.
Fun entertainment games you should not miss when coming here: animal show, Zulu dance show, let children play with animals, feed animals, take pictures with animals etc.
Admission ticket to Phu Quoc Safari for adults, guests with a height of 1m4 or more is 600,000VND/person ($26), children from 1m to 1m4 are 500,000VND/person ($21.7), children under 1m tall free of charge.
IV - Other recreational activities
23 - Sea bathing, scuba diving and sunbathing in the sea
Source: Sincerely Media
Phu Quoc Island is bordered by the sea, so there are many beautiful beaches for you to choose from: Bai Truong (located on Tran Hung Dao street), Bai Dai (located in the northwest of the island), Bai Sao (in An Thoi town), Bai Khem (25km from Duong Dong town) etc.
Diving is one of the best water sports in Phu Quoc island to see the coral reefs and sea animals. There are 3 types of diving:
- Snorkeling: price from 280,000 VND ($12.17) - 350,000 VND ($15.2)/person
- Scuba diving: price from 910,000VND ($40) - 1,400,000 VND ($63)/person (including lunch and shuttle bus)
- Walking under the sea is a new type so the price is quite high, 950,000 VND/person ($41.3) in 30 minutes.
- Surfing with prices from 200,000 VND ($8.69) - 400,000 VND ($17.4)/time
In terms of sunbathing, you just need to spread a cloth right on the beach, wear your glasses, prepare a few soft drinks and relax. And don’t forget the sunscreen
24 - Enjoy the fun at the bars
What to do in Phu Quoc at night? Source: Darren Nunis
In addition to activities in the sea, Phu Quoc also has many modern bars and beautiful spaces to relax that you should try.
Some famous bars on the island:
- INK 360: built as a giant octopus located at the 19th floor of InterContinental Phu Quoc Long Beach
- Ocean Beach Bar & Club: located at no.118/10 Tran Hung Dao, Duong Dong
- Dragonfly Bistro & Sky Bar: is located at Sao Mai hill, No.69 Tran Hung Dao, Duong Dong town.
25 - Try your luck at the casino on the island
Visiting the luxury casino and trying your luck is definitely one of the most exciting Phu Quoc things to do. In Phu Quoc, there is a casino called Corona Resort & Casino that has officially been in operation since January 19, 2019, which can be said to be a breakthrough step in the tourism industry of Phu Quoc. That Casino is located in the Bai Dai area, Ganh Dau commune, with 400 roulette tables, 2000 slots,...When visiting, you can try your luck with the slots, but remember to only play for fun and entertainment and be wary not to burn a hole in your pocket.
26 - Mountain climbing
Source: Mathias Jensen (Phu Quoc island things to do)
Perhaps not an outstanding activity in the coastal area, but mountain climbing in Phu Quoc is still loved by many tourists. The mountains of Phu Quoc do not exceed 1,000m but still contain unique attractions. You have the opportunity to experience watching the flora and fauna in Phu Quoc National Park or try your best to conquer the mountain.
Note: For a safe and enjoyable climbing trip, you should go with an experienced mountain climbing and jungle guide. Appropriate clothing and supplies should also be prepared.
27 - Watching sunset at sea with a little drink
Watching the sunset on the sea, relaxing in the sand and enjoying a delicious drink are great Phu Quoc things to do in the afternoon. Watching the afternoon sun flickering on the sea is a romantic experience. Some beautiful spots for watching the sunset on the sea are:
- Beach bar (mentioned above)
- Shri Phu Quoc (Tran Hung Dao street, Duong To town);
- Sunset Sanato Beach Club (Bai Truong, Group 3, Duong Bao Hamlet, Duong To
28 - Watch the aquatic life glow
Instead of watching more than 3000 fish species through the TV screen, you can now directly admire their lives with your eyes. This interesting activity is operated by Vinpearl Land, and there are "mermaids” dancing in the water, extremely vivid and colorful.
Admission price to Vinpearl Land Phu Quoc:
- Adults 500,000VND/time ($21.5)
- Children 400,000VND/time ($17.2)
- Children under 1m are completely free.
29 - Ride a motorbike to explore the city - among the most exciting Phu Quoc things to do
By riding a motorbike, you have the opportunity to take a closer look at the beauty of the island and be more active during your visit.
List of some motorbike rental units that are very convenient for you such as:
- Minh Man: 0913 027 823
- Van Vu: 0987 539 960
- Anh Tinh: 0909 895 969 or 0987 441 799
- Anh Phu: 0909 296 989 or 0977 893 979
Car rental price is from 120,000 to 150,000VND ($5.2 - 6.5)
30 - Vietnamese style massage
Source: Alan Caishan
Vietnamese-style massage - great thing to do in Phu Quoc to refresh after a long-exploring day or hard work. It helps you relieve stress and relax after a long day of exploring this place. In Phu Quoc, there are many massage addresses of this type:
- Phu Quoc Spa and Massage: No.100/3 Tran Hung Dao, Duong Dong town); Price 270,000 VND ($12) to 850,000 VND ($37).
- Luna Thai Spa: Tran Hung Dao, Duong To, Phu Quoc; Price from 580,000 VND ($25) to 870,000 VND ($38).
- TINH Wellness Sanctuary: at La Veranda resort, Duong Dong, Phu Quoc; Price from 1,400,000 VND ($61) to 2,000,000 VND ($87).
The above article has provided you with full information about top things to do in Phu Quoc island. Hope this information is useful for your trip and do not forget to experience all the activities that we recommend, as it will definitely give you a lasting impression