Phan Thiet Vietnam is the capital city of Binh Thuan province in the coast of Vietnam with an area of 206.45 square km and a long coastline of 57.4 km surrounded by pristine beaches such as Tien Thanh, Ham Tien, Mui Ne, Ke Ga. This city is renowned for abundant restaurants, water sport activities and bustling nightlife, which attracts a huge number of tourists looking for a relaxing getaway.
- Postal code Phan Thiet Vietnam: 77000
- Population: 228, 738 people (statistics in 2020)
- Administrative divisions: Phu Tai Ward, Duc Nghia Ward, Lac Dao Ward, Duc Long Ward, Phu Trinh Ward, Mui Ne Ward, Thanh Hai Ward, Ham Tien Ward, Binh Hung Ward, Duc Thang Ward, Hung Long Ward, Phu Hai Ward, Phu Thuy Ward, Xuan An Ward, Tien Thanh Commune, Tien Loi Commune, Phong Nam Commune, Thien Nghiep Commune.
Sand dunes - Source: Zibik
I - Where is Phan Thiet Vietnam & how to get there?
This city is located in Central Vietnam - 1460km from Hanoi & 200km from Ho Chi Minh city.
1 - Travel from Hanoi
Popular means of transportation: bus and plane
By sleeping bus: travel time is about 30 - 35 hours; Some buses in Hanoi
Hoang Long Bus
- Pick-up point: Nuoc Ngam Bus Station - No.8 Giai Phong Street, Hoang Mai District, Hanoi
- Ticket price: $40 - 65 / person
- Website: https://hoanglongasia.com
Mai Linh Express
- Pick-up: Nuoc Ngam bus station
- Ticket price: $30.5 - 35 / person
- Contact: 0243 511 77 88
Traveling by plane - Source: Vietjet
Traveling by plane
There is currently NO direct flight from Hanoi to Phan Thiet City. Therefore, you can travel from Noi Bai Airport in Hanoi to Tan Son Nhat Airport in Ho Chi Minh City and then catch a suitable bus.
- Departure: Noi Bai Airport - Phu Minh Commune, Soc Son District, Hanoi - 25 km from Hanoi center
- Arrive: Tan Son Nhat Airport - Truong Son Street, Ward 2, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City
- Travel time: nearly 2.5 hours
2 - Travel from Ho Chi Minh to Phan Thiet
Traveling by bus is the most popular way. Some suitable buses in Ho Chi Minh City:
Hai Tuan Limousine
- Pick-up: No.265 Pham Ngu Lao Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Drop-off: Any points in city center
- Departure time: 8a.m or 2p.m
- Ticket price: 300.000 VND / person ($12.93)
- Contact: 0901 233 822 or 0931 535 969
Tam Hanh bus
- Pick-up: No.199 Pham Ngu Lao Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Drop-off: No.88 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Mui Ne
- Departure time: flexible
- Ticket price: 140,000 VND / person ($6)
- Contact: 028 3920 897 or 028 3920 5653
II - Top best Phan Thiet attractions that should not be missed
1 - Mui Ne
Mui Ne is a cape, which possesses stretches of sand on a romantic beach - ideal place for watching sunrise on the seashore or immersing yourself in the life of the locals. Large and small boats including colorful basket boats anchor on the coast unexpectedly create a poetic landscape picture. Below is the list of tourist spots in Mui Ne:
Mui Ne Beach - Source: Shutterstock
Mui Ne Beaches
Mui Ne Beaches stretch about 10 km, famous for scenic spots such as Bai Rang Beach, Hon Rom Beach, Co Thach Beach,... with turquoise water and sheer stiffs. You can swim, sunbathe and experience beach sports such as surfing, paragliding,..here
Fairy Stream (Suối Tiên)
Address: No.32 Huynh Thuc Khang Street, Mui Ne Ward - 20km away from Phan Thiet City Centre
The place is considered to be the place of "heaven and earth" due to the harmonious scenery of red sand hills, rocky ranges, blooming flowers and rows of green trees. Here you can soak yourself in the cool and clean spring water or you can take photos with huge and intricate stalagmites. Another exciting experience is riding an ostrich on a nearby farm. One the of must-try things in Suoi Tien is sampling specialties, of which the most famous one is “Bánh tráng mắm ruốc nướng” (grilled rice paper with fish sauce), which can be served right on the stream.
Mui Ne Fishing Village
Address: Huynh Thuc Khang Street, Mui Ne Ward - 25km away from the centre of Phan Thiet City
This is the residence of fishermen in Mui Ne, which is also an anchorage for basket boats, or large and small colorful fish boats on the sea of emerald green water. When going further to the village, you reach fish markets, where locals start catching fish every morning and exchange, buy fresh crabs, shrimp and fish from basket boats which people have just caught. If you visit the village in the early morning, you will have a chance to admire the scene of bustling markets. This is also an ideal place to buy the freshest seafood at the cheapest price.
Red Sand Dune
This city is not only prominent for beautiful beaches with bustling fishing villages but also a gigantic sand area stretching to Ninh Thuan Province. The red sand dune is one of the best Phan Thiet sand dunes and is mostly covered by red sand. The color of sand changes from yellow to red, pink or orange under the influence of wind and sunlight. Coming here, you can experience a Jeep ride on the sand hill and contemplate the surrounding area. Hiking in these sand dunes is also a memorable experience, making you feel like you are on deserts in Africa or the Middle East.
Location: Quarter 5, Mui Ne Ward - 20km from the city center
2 - Duc Thanh School Historical Relic in Phan Thiet City Centre
Duc Thanh School Historical Relic - Source: Wikipedia
This over 100-year-old relic is where teacher Nguyen Tat Thanh (Nguyen Tat Thanh was one of the names of Ho Chi Minh President) used to live and work. The place still retains the three-room architecture with a tiled roof and ancient large wooden trusses. The teaching space remains a blackboard and a wooden table and is surrounded by an airy garden with a well and a lotus lake.
- Address: No.39 Trung Nhi Street, Duc Nghia Ward
- Entrance fee: Free
- Opening hours: 9am - 12am & 2pm - 5pm.
3 - Van Thuy Tu Temple
The construction in Phan Thiet Vietnam originated from the custom of worshiping “Cá Ông” (a kind of big fish) of the ancient Cham people. The work was built in 1762 in the shape of a Chinese letter 三, which means “three” in English with 03 main subdivisions: Ca Ong (whale) worshiping area, Tiền Hiền worshipping area and Vo Ca worshipping area. This place also displays a 22m long whale skeleton which weighs 65 tons.
- Address: No.54, Ngu Ong Street, Duc Thang Ward
- Entrance fee: 10,000 VND / adult ($0.43) & 5,000 VND / child ($0.21)
- Opening hours: 9am - 12am & 2pm - 5pm.
4 - Poshanu Cham Tower - Phan Thiet things to see
This complex was built in the late 8th or early 9th century to worship Shiva of the Cham people. It almost preserves the intact ancient architecture, clearly demonstrating the wisdom and spirit of the ancient Cham people. At the same time, various religious activities take place here such as: Cham dance, sightseeing and festivals.
- Address: Ba Nai Hill, Ngoc Lam Hamlet, Phu Hai Ward - 7km from the city center
- Entrance fee: 10,000 VND/ person ($0.43)
- Opening hours: 8am - 5pm
5 - Doi Duong Beach - top Phan Thiet beaches
Watching the blue ocean in the whispering wind brings a fresh feeling to you. You can also experience beach activities in this beach such as bathing, volleyball and enjoy delicious seafood or watch the sunrise.
- Address: No.206 Le Loi Street, Hung Long Ward
6 - Sand Statue Park
The 1.3ha park displays large sand statues (with main materials are sand and additives) carved in unique shapes of many artisans in the world. The park has officially been opened since January 29, 2017 and gradually became a favorite tourist attraction.
- Address: Nguyen Thong Street, Phu Hai Ward, Phan Thiet City Vietnam
- Entrance fee: 70,000 VND / child ($3.01) & 100,000 VND / adult ($4.31)
- Opening hours: 7:30 - 6pm
7 - Wine Castle
A corner of the Wine Castle - Source: Internet
This unique castel is designed in the style of medieval European architecture with large squares and ancient domes, creating a sense of luxury and elegance. It is the largest wine display and enjoyment in the city, an entertainment center with a green space and a large lake.
- Address: in Sea Links Beach Hotel - Vo Nguyen Giap Street, Phu Hai Ward
- Tickets: Trying 01 wine for 100,000 VND / person ($4.31)
- Opening time: 7:30am - 5pm
8 - Bau Trang in Phan Thiet (Bàu Trắng in Vietnamese)
The place is like a miniature desert with stretching white sand dunes gulping the large lake which was formed in ancient times. Later, people used sand to build a dam and divide it into two smaller lakes: Mr Bau and Mrs Bau (Bàu Ông and Bàu Bà). Coming here, you can enjoy sightseeing, experience jeep - riding on a sand dune. There are many lotus in these lakes and you can rent a boat to move around the lake and catch fish; go swimming; relax under the cool green canopy,...
- Address: Hong Lam Hamlet, Hoa Thang Commune, Bac Binh District, Binh Thuan Province - about 33km from Phan Thiet City Center
- Entrance fee: 10,000 VND/ person ($0.43)
9 - Ke Ga Cape
This cape stands out under the light at dawn with hundreds of clusters of brilliant yellow granite. At the same time, you can discover Ke Ga lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in Vietnam built in 1900 with 183 spiral steps, or immerse yourself in the life of the local fishermen in the early morning fishing market.
- Location: Tan Thanh Commune, Ham Thuan Nam District, Binh Thuan Province - about 40km away from city centre
- Canoe rental fee: 50,000 - 200,000 VND / round trip ($2 - 9). A canoe can carry about 25 people.
- If you want a thrilling experience, travelling by a coracle is an excellent option to try out. However, be careful of big waves that can make you dizzy and nauseous.
10 - Phan Thiet Market
This is the biggest one in Binh Thuan Province, one of the most famous local dining places, which host a variety of stalls with fresh produce, household items and local specialties. The market specializes in seafood items with various products such as crabs, snails, shrimps, clams, etc. When visiting the market, you are highly impressed by the local delicacies including Cha Ca Chien (Grilled Fish), Bun Rieu (Crab Paste Vermicelli Soup) and the list goes on. If you are a nighttime eater, Quang noodles (My Quang) is a must-try dish.
- Opening hours: 5:30am - 6pm
- Address: No.115 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Duc Nghia Ward
Note: It is advisable for you to buy seafood in the early morning or late afternoon when a huge number of products are imported in seafood shops, which allows you to buy items at a low price.
III - Top things to do in Phan Thiet Vietnam
1 - Enjoying local food and cuisine
In addition to the beautiful scenery and the mild climate, this city is also famous for fresh seafood and a variety of yummy dishes:
Fresh seafood - Source: Pham Dung
Every day, the coastal fishing market provides the local people with a plentiful source of fresh seafood. Most of the food, before being processed, is still fresh, so the sweetness is kept intact. The flesh is firm, soft but not chewy. Some types of fresh seafood that you should try to see the difference are: King Crab - 850,000 - 950,000 VND/kg ($36.63 - 40.94) depending on the size of crab; lobster - 1,000,000 VND/ kg ($43.1); squid - 600,000 VND/ kg ($25.86).
Quang Noodles - Source: Ngoc Phan
Phan Thiet - styled - Quang Noodles, retaining the toughness of the aromatic noodles and the sweetness of the broth, are also slightly varied with the introduction of goose meat instead of the normal pork. When served, the broth would be fatter and creamier.
Price: 25,000 - 40,000 VND/ bowl ($1.07 - 1.72).
Hue Noodle beef - Bun bo Hue
Like Quang Noodles, Bun bo Hue here still retains its traditional flavor and processing method. However, there is a little variation where the vermicelli fibers are smaller, the fish sauce is not added to the broth and the spices are moderated without reducing the taste of the dish.
Price: 30,000 - 40,000 VND/ bowl ($1.29 - 1.72).
Re cake - a must-try Phan Thiet food
The main ingredients are tapioca and cassava where noodles are mixed with flour and yellow fried. When served, the dish features a sense of both fatness and creaminess on the tip of your tongue. It is ideal to enjoy it on rainy days and when the air is chilly.
Price: 15,000 - 20,000 VND / bag - 10 pieces ($0.43 - 0.86).
Beside the local market and the night market, there are some well-known Phan Thiet restaurants that you can visit and enjoy top dishes including:
Mui Ne Swiss House
Mui Ne Swiss House - Source: Internet
This restaurant serves a full range of Vietnamese, Swiss, French and barbecue dishes, which are prepared by local chefs, so it is guaranteed to keep the traditional flavor. In particular, the restaurant space is designed to be simple and airy to bring comfortable experiences.
- Address: No.187B Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Mui Ne Ward
- Price: 85,000 - 400,000 VND/ item ($3.66 - 17.24)
- Opening hours: 9am - 11pm
Ganesh Indian Restaurant
This Phan Thiet restaurant specializes in Indian and Vietnamese dishes. The space is designed in typical Indian style with the white Ganesha statue right in the center, coordinated with harmonious wooden furniture. The dishes at the restaurant are especially suitable for vegetarian travelers.
- Address: No.55 - 57 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Mui Ne Ward
- Price: 60,000 - 165,000 VND/ dish ($2.58 - 7.11)
- Opening time: 11am - 10pm
This restaurant specializes in serving seafood dishes and Vietnamese traditional home food such as: fried fish, sour fish soup,... The space is cool, spacious and decorated with many colorful lanterns at the top, bringing a sense of Vietnam.
- Address: No.89 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Mui Ne Ward
- Price: 35,000 - 1,200,000 VND/ item ($1.51 - 51.72)
- Opening hours: 10am - 11pm
2 - Hot-air ballooning to explore Phan Thiet City
Coming to this city, you can also experience the feeling of floating in the air with a hot air balloon and enjoy the panoramic view of the city, the blue sea, and the mountains from the height of 300-500m above the ground. Currently there are two departure points for a hot-air ballooning trip in the city (each hot-air balloon can carry from 4 to 6 people):
- Nguyen Tat Thanh Square - located in the city center or Hoa Thang Gas Station - located in Hong Lam Village, Hoa Thang Commune, Bac Binh District, Binh Thuan Province.
- Flight time for a Phan Thiet city tour is about one hour, starting from 5:30am or 6am and landing at 7am, including pick-up and drop-off time, breakfast and a light Champagne drink.
- Price: 3,800,000 VND / person ($163.79)
Service provider: Hai Tuan DL & Trading Company Limited
- Address: No.42/A3 KDC Ben Loi, Lai An Ward
- Phone: 0252 350 0068
- Website: haituantravel.com
Service provider: Binh Thuan Travel & Media
- Address: No.125A Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Ham Tien Ward
- Phone: 19001761 - 0918 803 659
- Website: http://phanthietmuinetour.com
IV - Phan Thiet accommodation: Hotels & Resorts
Khách sạn TTC - Source: Booking
TTC Hotel - 4 stars
It is located in the city center designed with the bustling view of the city, featuring the spa, the restaurant or the outdoor swimming pool,...
- Address: Doi Duong Area, Le Loi Street, Hung Long Ward
- Phone: 0252 3 835 666
- Room rate: 550,000 - 2,100,000 VND/ night ($23.7 - 90.5)
Amaryllis Resort - 4 stars
Amaryllis Resort - Source: Amaryllis Resort
The campus is surrounded by lined green coconut trees, next to a separate and cool beach. Room space is designed spacious and airy and wooden furniture, just like the local houses
- Address: Km5, Phu Hai Ward
- Phone: 0252 3719 099
- Room rate: 750,000 - 1,900,000 VND/ night ($32.32 - 82)
Victoria Beach Resort & Spa
This Phan Thiet resort is designed in a green space with traditional leaf roofs and leaf huts on a private beach, making it the ideal place for tourists to enjoy the night scenery or watch the sunrise on the sea or try Vietnamese dishes.
- Address: Km9, Phu Hai Ward
- Phone: 0252 3813 000
- Room rate: 2,000,000 - 4,500,000 VND/ night ($86.2 - 194)
Blue Ocean Resort
The resort is designed in a local style with horizontal rafters, tiled roofs and comfortable wooden furniture surrounded by a lotus pond and a range of whispering green coconut groves, bringing a fresh space.
- Address: No.54 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Ham Tien Ward
- Phone: 0252 3847 322
- Room rate: 1,700,000 - 2,400,000 VND/ night ($73.27 - 103.45)
Golden Peak Resort & Spa
This resort in Phan Thiet Vietnam has a unique swimming pool overlooking the blue sea and typical coconut rows of tropical seas. Open and green room space gives you a sense of relaxation.
- Address: Km16, DT719, Lac Long Quan Street, Tien Thanh Ward
- Phone: 0252 3 888 777
- Room rate: from 1,267,500 VND/ night ($54.6)
This resort best known for the typical leaf-roof architectural design with an open space and a quiet private beach is immersed in the green nature with the flower gate and the wide and starry sky.
- Address: No.3, Nguyen Huu Tho Street, Mui Ne Ward
- Phone: 0252 3849 850
- Room rate: 1,200,000 - 2,650,000 VND / night ($51.7 - 114.2)
Bamboo Village Beach Resort
This resort is naturally friendly, local-styled and surrounded by a beautiful private beach. Famous attractions nearby include Poshanu Tower, Fairy Stream...
- Address: No.38, Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Ham Tien Ward
- Phone: 0252 3847 007
- Room rate: 1,000,000 - 2,450,000 VND/ night ($43.1 - 105.6)
V - Further information
1 - Airport
Airport name: Phan Thiet Airport. This airport is under construction and has not operated). It is expected to be completed and put into operation at the end of 2022.
- Location: Thien Nghiep Commune - 3km from the city centre
- IATA code: PHH
- Distance to the city center: 3km
2 - Getting around
Below are some suggestions about means of transport for you to consider thoroughly for your upcoming trip:
By private car
- Muinebooking.com: 082 424 1444
- Hai Tuan Travel - 0252 350 00 68
- Mui Ne Private Car - 097 669 43 84
Motorbike rental fee in Phan Thiet Vietnam: 100,000 - 200,000 VND/ day ($4.3 - 8.6) & Some motorbike rental shops:
Tâm Chung Motorbike Rental
- Address: No.280 Thu Khoa Huan Street, Phu Thuy Ward
- Phone: 0964 955 407.
Thanh Lâm Motorbike Rental
- Address: No.139 Nguyen Tuong Street, Phu Thuy Ward
- Phone: 0343 311 448.
Motorbike Rental Mr Chau:
- Address: No.89 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Mui Ne Ward
- Phone: 0984 301 280.
Visiting the sand dunes in Phan Thiet City, you can experience riding a Jeep for 550,000 VND/ 4-seater car ($23.7) or 600,000 VND/ 7-seater car. ($25.86). Some Jeep rental places are:
Golden Sand Travel (Bờ Cát Vàng Travel)
- Address: Xuan An Ward
- Website: https://bocatvangtravel.com.vn
- Phone: 0886 234 555
Mui Ne Jeep Tour
- Address: No.52 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Mui Ne Ward
- Phone: 0937 524 385
Red Sand Dune (Đồi Cát Đỏ)
- Address: No.1 Hon Rom Street, Mui Ne Ward
- Phone: 0933 253 386
3 - Phan Thiet weather information
Located in a typical arid region of tropical climate, this city is sunny, windy, stormy, and frostless. The average annual temperature steadily ranges from 26 - 27°C. The period from December to February records the lowest temperature and from April-May, it reaches the highest. Thus, you can come here at any time of the year. The weather is also favorable for outdoor activities.
4 - Suggested itinerary
For those who have only one day to experience and visit this city can refer to the following tours: Mui Ne Beaches → Fairy Stream → Red Sand Dune → Poshanu Tower
If you have more time, you can experience some other destinations such as: Cu Lao Cau, Ke Ga cape, Duc Thanh school, Sand Statue Park, Bàu Trắng, Fishing Village,...
5 - Phan Thiet map
It is obvious that Phan Thiet Vietnam possesses quite a lot of interesting tourist attractions. We hope that with the information above, you can gain a better understanding of this land and build an ideal schedule for a nice experience.