Tourists often call it “Mui Ne Sand Dunes'' when it mentions the sand dunes in Binh Thuan Province. Actually, there are 2 sand dunes in Binh Thuan Province with the exact names Bau Trang Sand Dune (45km from Phan Thiet City Centre, equivalent to 50 mins moving by car) and Bay Sand Dune (40km from Phan Thiet City Centre, equivalent to 45 mins moving by car) respectively.
I - The charming beauty of the Sand Dunes in Mui Ne
1 - Bau Trang Sand Dune (Mui Ne White Sand Dune)
Bau Trang Sand Dune located in Hong Lam Hamlet, Hoa Thang Commune, Bac Binh District, Binh Thuan Province is compared as a “little Sahara”. There is a large blue lake, Bau Trang lake next to the sand dune which is home to numerous lotus. In summer (from May to July), the lotus in the lake are in full bloom creating a lively scene. The best time of day to visit Bau Trang Sand Dune is from 5am to 9am and from 4pm to 6pm.
2 - Bay Sand Dune a.k.a Hong Sand Dune
This Sand Dune in Mui Ne Vietnam is located in Hoa Thang Hoa Thang Commune, Bac Binh District, Binh Thuan Province with a total square area of 50ha. It is called Bay Sand Dune (“Bay” means flying) because it can change its shape many times in just one day under the impact of wind direction. Many bougainvillaeas and poplars are grown to lessen the moving of sand. There is currently a luxury resort with a golf course near the BaySand Dune. The best time of day to visit Bay Sand Dune is from 5am to 8am coinciding with the breathtaking dawn..
Bay Sand Dune entrance fee: 15,000đ/person (~ $0.6)
II - How to get to Mui Ne Sand Dunes?
From Phan Thiet City Centre, you have 3 choices of moving to the sand dunes
1 - Moving by jeep
You can connect to these operators to book a jeep tour to the sand dunes:
Mui Ne Jeep Tour
Mui Ne Jeep Tour offers combination tours between the sand dunes and other famous attractions in Mui Ne such as Fairy Stream, Ong Dia Rock Beach, Wine Castle,...You can contact them for airport shuttle service.
- Address: No.52 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Ham Tien Ward, Phan Thiet City
- Price: 500.000 VND/a 4-6 persons group tour in 4-5h (~ $21,5). A driver responsible for guiding and taking photos is included.
- Contact: 0937524385 or email@example.com
- Website: https://muinejeeptour.com/
Hai Tuan Travel
Hai Tuan Travel offers Mui Ne Sand Dunes jeep tours as well as Mui Ne package tours, in which 4-hour sunrise jeep tours and 4-hour sunset jeep tours are the most popular tours.
- Address: 42/A3 KDC Ben Loi, Lai An Ward, Phan Thiet City
Number of persons
1 - 4 persons
500.000VND/ 4-seater jeep tour (~ $21.5)
5 – 6 persons
550.000VND/ 6-seater jeep tour (~ $23.6)
Over 7 persons
140.000VND/guest (~ $6.03)
110.000 VND/person (Departure time is fixed) (~ $4.8)
- Contact: 0252 350 0068 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2 - Taxi
Traveling by taxi from Phan Thiet City Centre to Sand Dunes of Mui Ne costs from 250.000 - 500.000 VND/4-seater car/way (~ $10.8 - 21.5). You can contact taxi brands in Phan Thiet
- Taxi Mai Linh: 0252 38 38 38 38
- Taxi Quoc Te Phan Thiet: 0252 3 52 52 52
- Sun Taxi Phan Thiet: 0252 3 66 77 88
- VinaSun Taxi Binh Thuan: 0252 3 888 888
3 - Riding a motorbike to the Sand Dunes in Mui Ne
Motorbike rental price in Phan Thiet is about 80.000 - 150.000 VND/motorbike/day (~ $3.5 - 6.5). Some motorbike rental shops in Phan Thiet as follow:
Thanh Lam motorbike rental shop
- Address: No.139 Nguyen Tuong Street, Phu Thuy Ward, Phan Thiet City
- Phone number: 0342 311 448.
Thanh Phong motorbike rental shop
- Address: Km9, Nguyen Thong Street, Phu Hai Ward, Phan Thiet City
- Phone number: 0916 028 368.
Hoang Hieu motorbike rental shop
- Address: No. 50 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Ham Tien Ward, Phan Thiet City
- Phone number: 0933 715 692.
III - What to do in the Sand Dunes of Mui Ne
1 - Watch the sunrise and sunset
It is a shame if you miss the scenery of sand dunes in dim light at dawn and sunset. The magical combination of the sand dunes’ color and the sun’s light creates a dim and charming space. You can see the beautiful and simple daily activities of the indigenous people such as: the woman carrying water on her head, the children herding buffalo,..which create a charming picture with the harmony between human and nature.
2 - Mui Ne Sand Dunes quad bike
Quad biking in sand dunes is an awesome activity that you should not miss. It may be a bit difficult to master the steering wheel at first. Once you get used to it, you must be excited to realize how interesting riding a quad biking is.
- Quad biking rental fee: 700.000đ/quad biking/20 mins/2 people (~ $30.2)
- Rental place: at the entrance to the sand dunes
3 - Sand Sliding
All you need to do is rent a skateboard, drag it to the areas with suitable slopes and slide from top to bottom. It is really exciting and gives you a new wonderful experience.
- Skateboard rental fee: 20.000đ/person/turn (~ $0.9) (training fee is included)
- Rental place: at the entrance to the sand dunes
Not just the sand dunes, but there are such amazing attractions in Phan Thiet as Fairy Stream, Ong Dia Rock Beach, Wine Castle, Duc Thanh School, Phan Thiet Beach,... waiting to be explored.
IV - Mui Ne Sand Dunes accommodation
There is very little accommodation in the areas surrounding the two sand dunes. Therefore, after exploring the sand dunes, you had better return to Mui Ne to find accommodation.