Saigon river originates from the low hills and is a tributary of the Dong Nai River. It has an altitude of about 150m, the flow passes through Binh Phuoc province, Tay Ninh province, Binh Duong province and Ho Chi Minh city before flowing into the sea. It is 256km long, flowing along the territory of Ho Chi Minh City for 80km. This river plays an important role in waterway traffic as well as in tourism development of Ho Chi Minh city.
I - What are the best experiences on Saigon river?
1 - Dining on a night cruise
Saigon is known as the city that does not sleep. At night, there are many entertainment activities, including dining on the cruises. As the cruises run slowly, it allows you to enjoy a panoramic view of the sparkling city at night while enjoying premium meals. These are the cruise ship service providers that you can choose from:
Saigon river cruises - Source: Divui Team
Saigon Princess Cruise
- Ticket price: 1,300,000 VND / person ($56.11)
- Menu: Asia & Europe food and a particular set menu for child
- Tour itinerary:
6pm: Welcome tourists at the Saigon Port - District 4, Ho Chi Minh City.
7:15pm: The cruise starts to depart to Thu Thiem bridge, sails along the river through Nha Rong wharf, downstream through the ports. You can admire the sparkling Saigon’s scenery at night and enjoy delicious dishes made by talented chefs.
21h15: Tour ends
- Booking for a Saigon river tours on boat: https://www.saigonprincess.com.vn/
- Ticket price: 700,000 VND / adult ($30.21) & 560,000 VND / child ($24.17) & 210.000 VND / baby ($9.06)
- Menu: Set menu from $15 to $65 or buffet menu from $22.
- Tour itinerary:
7pm: You are picked up at No.5 Nguyen Tat Thanh Street, District 4
7:45pm: The cruise starts to depart in the direction of Thu Thiem bridge, going along the river through Nha Rong wharf, down the Saigon ports. You enjoy delicious dishes with traditional dance and unique music performances.
9:15pm: Tour ends
- Ticket booking: http://www.indochinajunk.com.vn/
2 - Take a Saigon water bus tour
Water bus was first opened and launched in Saigon river Vietnam in 2017. You can admire the stunning scenery along the river sides and the beauty of the river. River buses can accommodate up to 60 people, fully equipped with life jackets for passengers
Water bus in Saigon - Source: Jayni.foodandtraveling
Saigon water bus schedule:
- Departing trip: 11 trips - C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C7, C8, C10, C11, C13, C15
- Returning trip: 8 trips - L1, L2, L4, L8, L10, L11, L13, L15
- Departing trip: 5 trips - C3, C6, C9, C12, C14
- Returning trip: 5 trips - L3, L6, L9, L12, L14.
- One way ticket price: 15,000VND / person ($0.65)
- Round-trip ticket price: 30,000VND / person ($1.3)
- Visit https://saigonwaterbus.com for online booking & more details
3 - Explore Saigon river tunnel - Thu Thiem tunnel
Thu Thiem tunnel is the first tunnel in Vietnam, connecting the two banks of the river and up to the present time is the most modern in Southeast Asia. The tunnel has a length of 1490m with 371m of submersible tunnels, in which the length of 770m is enough to ensure 6 moving lanes, with 2 escape routes and ventilation equipment, water supply, lighting, fire protection and alarm speaker system.
Thu Thiem Tunnel - Source: Trung Vo
Thu Thiem tunnel is built under the river, this is a special point to visit and admire the scenery of the river
II - Places to stay & dining along Saigon river
1 - Accommodations near the river
The reverie Saigon Hotel - Source: Thereveriesaigon
The Reverie Sai Gon
- Address: No.22-36 Nguyen Hue street - No.57-69F Dong Khoi street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.
- Room rate: 4,900,000 VND /night ($211.55)
- Hotline: 028 3823 6688
Majestic Hotel Saigon
- Address: No.1 Dong Khoi street, Ben Nghe ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.
- Room rate: 2,900,000 VND / night ($125.2)
- Hotline: 028 3829 5517
The Myst Dong Khoi Hotel
- Address: No.6-8 Ho Huan Nghiep street, Ben Nghe ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Room rate: 1,700,000 VND / night ($73.4)
- Hotline: 028 3520 3040
Sky Gem Central Hotel
- Address: 26 - 28 Dong Du, Ben Nghe, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Room rate: 780,000 VND / night ($33.67)
- Hotline: 028 3822 7592
2 - Saigon river restaurants
To enjoy dinner on a cruise, you can choose to dine at riverside restaurants.
The Deck Saigon
- Address: No.38 Nguyen U Di street, Thao Dien Ward, District 2
- Price: 350,000 - 380,000 VND / person ($15.1 - 16.4)
- Hotline: 028 3744 6632
Bistro Song Vie Saigon
- Address: No.197/2 Nguyen Van Huong street, Thao Dien Ward, District 2
- Price: 100,000 - 500,000 VND / person ($4.3 - 21.6)
- Hotline: 028 3744 6090
- Address: No.36 Thao Dien street, Thao Dien Ward, District 2
- Price: 100,000 - 330,000 VND / person ($4.32 - 14.25)
- Hotline: 028 3744 6790
- Address: No.195 Nguyen Van Huong street, Thao Dien Ward, District 2
- Price: 250,000 - 550,000 VND / person ($10.8 - 23.7)
- Hotline: 028 3744 2222
III - Map of Saigon river
The Saigon river flowing in the city brings the city the freshness of nature, dispels the fatigue and dust of daily life, and is a great place to rest and relax.