Bui Vien street is well-known as a sleepless street since its crazy excitement all day and night, crowded with shops and passersby. Another nickname of Bui Vien Street called by Saigonese is “Backpacker Street'' because it is always full of “foreign faces”, and is the centre of countless amazing tourist activities with reasonable prices.
From 7pm to 9pm on 2 days of the weekend, Bui Vien is organized to be a walking street which makes it one of the small number of Saigon streets having two different looks from day to night becoming more and more splendid and exciting than in the daytime.
I - Bui Vien Street Saigon in the daytime
During the weekdays, Bui Vien has no differences from other streets when you cross over a crowded road packed with a lot of vehicles while the two sides of the long street are rows of food stalls, coffee shops or clothing stores with different operating times. Some travel agencies or lodging services are located here, so tourists can come here for a few interesting travel services.
The highlight in architecture and typical images of this street come from the welcoming sign board in the shape of a conical hat along with street vendors selling fruits and vegetables passing by. Picking one food stall for a cup of coffee or a loaf of bread while walking around is a great idea for enjoying a day in Saigon.
II - Bui Vien Street Walking in the night time
To see and experience the most charming time of Bui Vien, you should visit when the sun goes down. Distinguishing from its simple daytime appearance, when it’s night, this street changes into a more heated and crowded place. The roads are fully covered by walking tourists, flavors & smoke from the street food vendors, the sound of chatting and loud music,... It looks like a party of sounds and colors with lots of fun things to see and do.
1 - Bui Vien Street food
This street is one of the most popular attractions to enjoy local food with such famous dishes as: grilled rice paper, grilled dishes, snacks, snail dishes, fermented pork rolls,... Mingling in Saigonese's youthful atmosphere, trying delicious bar snacks with fresh beer and making friends will be one of the best parts of your trip.
Having a seat on small plastic chair and cheering with the crowd is so fun, but for those who want to looking for a more private place, you can take a look to some suggested restaurants:
Source: Tripadvisor Bui Vien Walking Street
La Famille restaurant:
This is a small beautiful Vietnamese restaurant with simple architecture, serving all 3 meals per day for tourists. Dishes are prepared carefully to keep its original taste. Chicken rice noodles (Pho Ga), Beef rice noodles (Pho Bo), Sizzling pancakes (Banh Xeo),.. are the top dishes here.
- Address: No.31, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Opening hour: 00.00 pm - 11.00 pm
- Price: 40.000 - 200.000 VND/ dish (~ $1.8 - $8.6)
- Contact: +84 38 377 977
The Garlik De Tham Restaurant:
Designed with a luxurious & modern space, The Garlik De Tham Restaurant is perfectly chosen for a romantic dinner. It specializes in Asian or Western cuisine with beautiful decoration and & flavor taste.
- Address: No.216, De Tham Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city, (about 200 meters or 5 minutes walking from Bui Vien Street).
- Opening hour: 8.00 am - 10.00 pm
- Price: 100.000 - 1.000.000 VND/dish (~ $2.2 - $22)
- Contact: +84 8 3838 56 65
This is a small restaurant in the corner of Bui Vien with simple decoration and good dishes. Nonla Guys is quite famous among tourists where they can enjoy all kinds of dishes from Korea, Asia, Mexico, fast food and even vegetarian foods. The must-try dishes recommended include: Bun Cha (rice noodles with grilled pork and meatball), mixed rice, quesadilla, taco.
- Address: No.40/24, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Opening hour: 10.00 am - 10.00 pm
- Price: 30.000 - 100.000 VND/ dish (~ $1.3 - $2.2)
- Contact: +84 2836 20 2966.
2 - Bars and clubs
Bars and clubs with a vibrant and youthful atmosphere are not mentioned when coming to this street. Experiencing Bui Vien bars and clubs is one of the best nightlife in Ho Chi Minh city.
Source: Proriat Hospitality
a perfect place for tourists to enjoy a party with music and good drinks. The bar is smartly designed to optimize the space with full furnishing. Sitting at an outdoor table to drink a glass of cool beer while looking at bustling streets is such a refreshing and relaxing feeling.
- Address: No.59, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Price: 90.000 - 190.000 VND/ dish (~ $3.4 - $8.2)
- Opening hour: 6.30 pm - 3.00 am
- Contact: +84 93 851 70 07
Hair Of The Dog Bar:
The restaurant is designed in Vietnamese style with accents coming from a few special decorative details such as: glass bottles for chandeliers, the rows of tables lined together. This bar is usually crowded with both locals and tourists.
- Address: No.194, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Price: 50.000 - 200.000 VND/ dish (~ $2.2 - $8.6)
- Opening hour: 19.00 pm - 2.00 am
- Contact: +84 967 201 233
Lost In Saigon:
This is one of the most uniquely designed bars on this street, highly rated for its excellent music style and tasty beverages. By only passing by can make anyone interested by the spacious atmosphere decoration, black color tones and modern lighting systems create a fanciful space to enjoy. Songs are performed by Vietnamese famous rappers at night while Vietnamese and Western food is served in the daytime.
- Address: No.49, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Opening hour: 9.00 am - 11.30 pm
- Price: 45.000 - 140.000 VND/ dish (~ $1.9 - $6.1)
- Contact: +84 70 395 6169
Miss Saigon Restaurant & Bar:
The restaurant and bar specializes in Vietnamese cuisine with tasty dishes such as: springrolls, fresh rolls, bread,...Tourists can choose to either enjoy vibrant music inside or sit outside to try food with refreshing glasses of beer. The restaurant’s signature signboard with a Vietnamese girl in the Ao dai and appealing traditional conical hat image are the highlights of this place.
- Address: No. 158, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.
- Price: 100.000 - 500.000 VND/ dish (~ $4.3 - $22)
- Opening hour: 6.00am - 00.00am
- Contact: +84 96 7120 12 33
The View Rooftop Bar:
From The View Rooftop Bar, you can admire the colorful city at night. The bar's interior is mainly made from wood, and a colorful lantern system creates a warm feeling like being home. The special things about this bar is the menu of tasty food and beverages which have various types of seafood and red meat. Moreover, the restaurant creates a special check-in place by reappearing in detail the love bridge in Da Nang.
- Address: No.195 - 197, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city.
- Price: 35.000 - 300.000 VND/ dish (~ $1.5 - $13)
- Opening hour: 10.00am - 11.00pm
- Contact: +84 93 636 35 05
3 - Massage services
After a full day visiting tourists can relax by having massage services in one of the addresses below:
Source: Toa Heftiba
Beautiful Saigon Spa:
This is one of the most highly recommended massage parlours for tourists because of the good service and reasonable price. What’s more, receptionists are all in the purple Ao dai and people are allowed to take photos with them even before their consultation and service selection. Some of tourists’ preferences are: neck and shoulder massage, foot massage, body massage,...
- Address: No.72, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Price: 100.000 - 200.000 VND/ service (~ $0.4 - $8.6)
- Opening hour: 10.00 am - 11.45 pm
- Contact: +84 83 920 3879
Zen Spa - Foot & Body Massage:
This spa is well - known for experienced massage staff with knowledge of healthcare as well as using nature - originated ingredients for massage, which all brings in optimization in comfortability and relaxation for customers.
- Address: No. 244, De Tham Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
(250 meters from Bui Vien - similar to 5 minutes walking)
- Price: 230.000 - 520.000 VND/ service (~ $9.9 - $22.4)
- Opening hour: 10.00 am - 00.00am
- Contact: +84 909 733 988
Piu Piu Spa & Massage:
This Spa contains a quiet and private atmosphere. Vaguely specific fragrance is extracted from attar, assisting customers to relax while having a massage. Trained staff can help customers to choose the appropriate service.
- Address: No.133, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Opening hour: 9.00 am - 11.30 pm
- Contact: +84 902 453 079
III - Other necessary information
1 - Accommodations
Tourists can select accommodation on this street, which mostly consists of 3-star accommodations that are suitable for budget-minded travelers; therefore, if you want to seek higher quality ones, staying in other streets near Bui Vien is highly recommended.
Suggested accommodations with positive feedbacks from customers are:
Pullman Saigon Center Hotel - 5*:
The hotel is designed according to a youthful design and modern style with bright color tones of blue & green. High quality interiors & utility systems create the most comfortable feeling for tourists: airport pick-up service, outdoor swimming pool, spa & restaurant. Staying in this hotel near Bui Vien Street, you can contemplate the view of the entire Saigon city, enjoying detectable meals or watching the chef's unique cooking performance from the top of the hotel.
- Address: No.148, Tran Hung Dao Boulevard, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh.
- Room rate: 2.150.000 - 4.250.000 VND/ night (~ $93 - $183)
- Contact: +84 28 3838 8686.
Saigon Sports 3 Hotel - 3*:
The hotel has a youthful design to maximize customers' experience. Saigon Sports 3 Hotel is most preferred by its prime locations of being proximate to many tourist attractions, namely Ben Thanh Market ( 540 metres), Independence Palace ( 1 kilometre), City’s People Committee (1,1 kilometre),.....
- Address: No.175/21, Pham Ngu Lao Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city (450 meters from Bui Vien Saigon - similar to 6 minutes walking)
- Contact: +84 937 20 90 95
a very small beautiful hotel with simple design mainly using wooden furniture to create a cozy atmosphere, cleanliness and fully-equipped amenities. The variety of room types are suitable for solo travelers, couples, family or groups of people. Guests are offered to freely use extra hotel services such as photo areas, reading rooms.
- Address:: No. 80, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city
- Contact: +84 28 3837 2677
C Central Hotel - 3*:
The hotel’s design follows modern style. Contemplating the top-view of Saigon at night is one of the most impressive things for guests staying here since the location of the hotel is near the central junction of Bui Vien, De Tham and Pham Ngu Lao.
- Address: No.216 De Tham Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city (200 meters from Bui Vien)
- Room rate: 890.000 - 1.300.000 VND/ night (~ $38.4 - $56)
- Contact: +84 28 38 38 56 65.
2 - Safety guides
Some notes to keep you and your assets safe and sound during visiting time in Bui Vien Street District 1:
- Take care of your personal property carefully.
- Ask in advance the price of any services before using to avoid being ripped off.
- Avoid colliding and arguing with others.
- Be careful with massage service invitations on the street, services and facilities provided should be researched thoroughly before use.
- Refuse immediately to use of marijuana or drugs on the street.
- In case of assistance from functional forces, contact: Police station of Pham Ngu Lao Ward at No.66, Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh city (+84 28 38 267 384).
3 - Bui Vien walking street map
Bui Vien is one of the most lively streets in Sai Gon, paralleling Nguyen Hue Pedestrian street, characterized as the street of proximate pubs and street vendors selling all kinds of goods, covering all kinds of corners. If you have a chance to visit Ho Chi Minh city, you should not skip Bui Vien Walking Street.