As you know, beer is a very popular alcoholic beverage not only in Vietnam but also in all over the world. Since the ingredients of beer’s recipe are diverse in different regions, you can not find the totally similar tastes of beer among different lands; and beer of Saigon is not an exception.
I - Popular kind of beer in Saigon
1 - Commercial beer
Commercial beer normally is stored in cans or bottles and can be found in any grocery stores, supermarkets as well as convenience stores. There are many popular commercial beer brands in Saigon namely:
Saigon Special - Source: Chery Huynh
Saigon Beer (Sabeco)
Sabeco is a famous beer brand in Vietnam producing lots of different types of beer products:
- Saigon Export beer containing an alcohol level of 4.9%, reflects the traditional features of being produced depending on the most original beer recipe. Saigon beer costs about 11,000-13,000VND ($0.47- 0.56)/ per 330ml can.
- Saigon Gold beer has 5% of alcohol. This is the most premium and quintessential product of Sabeco company. Fresh and strong flavor is the extra advantage of Saigon Gold beer. Accordingly, the price of Saigon Gold is higher than others beer production lines, which is 20,000VND ($0.86) / per 330ml can
- Saigon Special beer has an alcoholic level of 4.9% and is produced by 100% raw materials from spring barley, which gives a sense of the typical natural taste. The price of Saigon Special beer is 13,500 VND ($0.58)/ per 330ml can.
- Saigon Lager beer has 4.3% alcohol. Owning the cool and fresh taste, Saigon Lager beer is marked as one of the best beer brands in the world and had the honor to receive the gold medal at the International Brewing Awards (IBA). The price of a 330ml can is 11,000 VND ($0.47).
- 333 beer with an alcohol level of 5.3% is the leading canned beer in Vietnam and also is exported to 18 different countries. 333 has a strong taste which creates an amazing feeling when drinking, which is very suitable for Vietnamese. The price of 333 beer is about 13,000VND ($0.56)/ per can of 330ml
Tiger beer - Source: Chumrestaurant
- Tiger Brown: Tiger brown beer having a strong and unique flavor contains 5% alcohol. Price: 15,900 VND ($0.69) / per 330ml can.
- Tiger Sliver: By applying the cold fermentation technology, Tiger Sliver beer in Ho Chi Minh city is not mixed with other beer yeasts. The mellow taste with 4.6% of alcohol brings a fresh feeling to customers. A can of Silver Tiger costs 16,700 VND ($ 0.72).
Beer Hanoi Premium - Source: VnExpress
Hanoi beer (Habeco)
- Hanoi beer Premium: The taste of beer is rich and strong, bringing a fresh feeling to the customers. The alcohol content of Hanoi beer Premium is 4.9%. The price of a 24-bottle beer crate is 230,000 VND ($9.91 USD). The price of 330ml cans is 270,000 VND ($11.64) / 24 cans.
- Hanoi beer (with red label): This line of product brings an original flavor, combining harmoniously with a little bitter taste and a soft foam layer. A 450 ml bottle has 4.4% alcohol. The price for a beer carton of 20 bottles is 160,000 VND ($6.90). The 330ml contains 4.6% alcohol level. 24 cans normally cost 230,000 VND ($9.91 USD)
2 - Draft beer (Draught beer)
Draft beer - Source: VnExpress
Compared to commercial beer, draught beer has a lower sugar level and shorter fermentation time. The storage time is also quite short, therefore, draft beer normally consumed within a few days. Because draught beer undergoes a shorter filtration process than commercial beers and has much less preservatives, the beer taste acorrdingly is much stronger. The average price of draught beer in Saigon is from 10,000 to 15,000 VND / per liter (~ $0.43 - 0.65). In Saigon, there are many famous draft beer addresses such as:
Rung Bien restaurant - Seafood & Beer
- Address: 371A Nguyen Trai, Nguyen Cu Trinh ward, district 1.
- Opening hours: From 9am to 11pm
- Prices range: 200,000 - 500,000 VND / item ($8.62- 21.55).
Au Co beer alley
- Address: 280 Au Co, Tan Binh district. This is the famous beer restaurant with an airy space and a beautiful view.
- Opening hours: from 10am to 11pm
- Price ranges: 100,000 - 150,000 VND / dish ($4.31-6.47).
Buddy - Beer & Coffee
- Address: 219/9/17 Tran Van Dang, ward 11, district 3
- Opening hours: from 8 am to 12pm daily with indoor and outdoor space
- Price ranges: from 20,000 to 50,000 VND / dish ($0.86- 2.16)
Saigon people in particular and Vietnam in general have a very typical beer-drinking habits which is very different from other countries in the world:
- Drink beer with ice, do not drink the cool beer from the fridge.
- Drink beer with lots of people. Vietnamese often order a lot of beer. People can talk and chat together in the same bar/ restaurant even with strangers.
- Vietnamese often drink beer at pavement stalls, not in the luxury restaurants.
3 - Saigon craft beer
Craft beer - Source: Isenpai
This is the type of beer that is only produced in very small quantities per batch. Compared to other kinds of beer, the ingredients of craft beer are also much more diverse which are mango, papaya, passion fruit, and so on. These ingredients are combined together and create a unique flavor of Vietnamese craft beer.
The best way to enjoy craft beer is to try a tray of 4 bottles of beer with the strength, taste and bitterness gradually increasing from left to right. You will drink beer from the left to the right. After that, you will completely feel the flavors of craft beer in Saigon.
There are many famous places for you to enjoy craft beer in Saigon namely:
Pasteur Street Brewery
This is one of the pioneer enterprises in the craft beer sector in Saigon. This brand has over 70 types of beers with local fruit ingredients. Some of the most famous beer products are Jasmine, Passion Fruit Wheat Ale, Spice Island Saison, and Cyclo Imperial Chocolate Stout. The price of Pasteur Street Brewery ranges from 50,000 to 500,000 VND ($2.16- 21.55) / per glass. In Saigon, there are 3 taprooms of Pasteur Street Brewery:
Alley Taproom and Restaurant
- Address: 144-144 / 3 Pasteur, Ben Nghe ward, district 1.
- Opening hours: From 11am to 12pm every day.
- Contact: +84838239562
Thao Dien Taproom and Restaurant
- Address: 120 Xuan Thuy, District 2.
- Opening hours: From 4 pm to 12 pm (from Monday to Thursday); from 11am to 1am (Friday and Saturday); from 11am to 12pm (Sunday)
- Contact: +842862730562
Le Thanh Ton Taproom and Restaurant
- Address: 26A Le Thanh Ton, District 1.
- Opening hours: from 11am to 1am every day.
- Contact: +842862788895
East West Brewing
This is a beer brand that brings high quality beer with a very affordable price in a very nice space. Drinks of the bar are diverse from East West Pale Ale to Pacific Pilsner. Customers can choose to enjoy a tray of 4 or 10 glasses. The price of this Saigon craft beer is about 85,000-900,000 VND ($3.66- 38.79) / per glass or bottle.
- Address: 181-185 Ly Tu Trong, District 1
- Opening hours: From 5pm to 12pm (From Monday to Friday); 12am to 12pm (Saturday and Sunday)
- Contact: +84913060728
Rehab station - Source: Fb Rehabstationsg
The Rehab station is famous for providing the most various types of beers in Saigon. The price of drinks is from 50,000-650,000 VND ($2.16-28.02) / per glass or bottle.
- Address: 27/6 Nguyen Binh Khiem, Da Kao ward, district 1
- Opening hours: from 11am to 11pm every day
- Contact: 02839118229
Ong Cao (Mr. Cao) beer
The restaurant offers typical drinks such as Rooster IPA, Amber, White Wheat Ale, and so on. The price ranges from 45,000 to 90,000 VND ($1,94- 3.88 USD)/ per glass
- Address: 240, Bui Vien, District 1
- Opening hours: From 5 pm to 11:15 pm daily.
- Contact: 0911996160
Heart of darkness brewery
When you come to this pub, remember to try Holy Fire Golden if you want a simple kind of drink with a pleasant taste. If you want to enjoy a little rich and bitter taste, Chocolate Chili Stout is a good choice. Moreover, the brewery is also famous for its typical yellow-brown fruit beer, Loose Rivet New England IPA. The drinks’ prices are from 40,000 to 1,300,000 VND ($1.72- 56.03) / per glass or bottle. To try this
- Address: at 31D Ly Tu Trong, Ben Nghe ward, District 1
- Opening hours: From 11am to 12pm daily
- Contact: 0903017596
II - Other addresses in Saigon to enjoy beer
1 - Beer street in Saigon
Bui Vien Street at night - Source: Zai Tri
Bui Vien Street is the second pedestrian street being founded after Nguyen Hue walking street. Along the length of approximately 500m, there are countless restaurants, pubs, foods and drinks stores. You can easily order a glass of beer anywhere. The street operates and is always busy from 7 am. to 2 a.m on the weekends.
2 - Beer in bar, pub and club
Kingdom beer club
The club offers varied kinds of beers from popular beers to the rare ones. Additionally, the food of Kingdom beer club includes many delicious and attractive Western dishes for customers. The price ranges from 250,000 to 500,000 VND ($10.78- 21.55) / person.
- Address: The club has 3 branches which are respectively located at 67-69 Nguyen Viet Chanh, Nguyen Cu Trinh ward, district 1; 218-220 Tran Quang Khai, Tan Dinh ward, district 1; and No. 236A Le Van Sy, Ward 1, Tan Binh District.
- Opening hours: From 18h to 1am.
Guru sport bar
This beer club in Saigon is a great place for sport fans. It would be very amazing to enjoy the weekend nights here, watch football, enjoy tasty beers, and eat delicious dishes. The price of food and drinks is from 280,000-400,000 VND ($12.07- 17.24) / person.
- Address: 10 Ky Dong, Ward 9, District 3.
- Opening hours: From 10am to 1am.
Poc Poc beer garden - Source: Internet
Poc Poc beer garden: There are also interesting events and programs being held here. The average price is 70,000- 370,000 VND ($3.02- 15.95) / person.
- Address: 39 Pham Ngoc Thach, Ward 6, District 3.
- Opening hours: From 4pm to 12 daily.
The Boheme pub has a talented DJ offering excotic music. The taste of both beer and wine are very distinctive. The price is about 50,000- 165,000 VND ($2.16- 7.11) / per person.
- Address: 8 / 2A Bui Vien, Pham Ngu Lao ward, district 1.
- Opening hours: from 7pm to 2am daily.
X - pose beer club
X - pose has been the first beer club that offers buffet service within Saigon. Besides, beer and soft drinks are free. The average price is 150,000- 300,000 VND (6.47-12.93 USD) / person.
- Address: The club has 2 branches located at 583 Su Van Hanh, Ward 13, District 10 and 97-97C Ly Chieu Hoang, Ward 10, District 6, respectively
- Opening hours: From 5pm to 12am daily
Vuvuzela - Source: Pose
This beer pub in Saigon is where you can find almost every kind of draught beer from many countries around the world such as Belgium, the Netherlands, and so on. The food of Vuvuzela is also typical, bringing the distinguished features of its original country. The prices range from 300,000 to 400,000 VND ($12.93- 17.24) / person. Vuvuzala has two branches in Saigon:
- A43 Truong Son, ward 4, Tan Binh district. Open from 4pm to 12pm
- 18 Phan Van Tri, ward 10, Go Vap district. Open from 10am to 10pm.
This beer club in Ho Chi Minh city is a bar with a very luxurious space, attractive design, nice music and tasty drinks. As a result, the price is quite high, which is about 500,000-1,000,000 VND ($21.55- 43.10) / person.
- Address: 264 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, ward 8, district 3.
- Opening hours: From 6.30pm to 4 am.
Chill sky bar
Because of being located on the upper floor of the building, this is an ideal place for those who want to enjoy the cool and fresh atmosphere as well as enjoy the beauty of the whole city at night. The food and drink are delicious, which are prepared by professional chefs and bartenders. The average price is 200,000-550,000 VND ($8.62-23.71) / person.
- Address: 26th floor and 27th floor AB, 76A Le Lai, District 1.
- Opening hours: From 5.30 pm to 2 am
From ordering takeaway beer at home, enjoying fresh, delicious, rare beers immediately at bars, pubs, and restaurants to simply sitting at the pavement stalls on streets, enjoying beer has been a very special culture of Saigon people associated with Vietnamese. Therefore, coming to Saigon, do not forget to try (at least once) the relaxing, cool and fresh taste that only can be felt when drinking beer in Saigon