The church is located at No.40 Nha Chung Street, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem District and stands right next to the Archbishopof Hanoi, the Lovers of the Holy Cross in Hanoi, and Saint Joseph Seminary of Hanoi.
I - An overview about the St Joseph Cathedral Hanoi Vietnam
1 - History of the church
Due to surviving documentary records, the current church campus was built on the foundation of the old Bao Thien pagoda and Bao Thien tower. The church was officially erected in 1884. However, due to funding issues and, it was not until 1886 that the construction cost of about 200,000 French francs was mobilizing completely. The Cathedral was inaugurated on the Christmas of Dinh Hoi year (1887) and named Church of St. Joseph (Saint Joseph).
2 - How to get to the Saint Joseph cathedral Hanoi?
Travelers can reach the church by several means of transportation such as motorbike, taxi, or bus.
- If you can ride a motorbike, you should park your bike at 1 Trieu Quoc Dat or 2 Trang Thi Street and continue walking along Phu Doan - Au Trieu street to reach the church.
- Nha Chung Street is situated on a no-bus route, so you only can take a bus to the bus stop near Hoan Kiem lake shore bus stop, including lines 09, 14 or 03 then continue walking to No. 40 Nha Chung Street.
- If you want to get there by taxi, the nearest stop is the intersection of Trang Thi street, intersecting with Quang Trung street, then walking about 600m to St. Joseph's Cathedral.
II - Architecture of the St Joseph's Cathedral Hanoi
The cathedral is designed in the medieval Gothic architecture style of Europe which is relatively similar to the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. On the other hand, there is an intersection between Eastern culture and Christian culture, as well as in part Buddhism.
From the outside, visitors may be impressed with the antique dome-shaped, colorful glass windows, and green atmosphere of the cathedral. Furthermore, there are a number of unique and sophisticated works on the church campus namely the statue of the Virgin Mary in the middle of the church's premises, the 31.5m high bell tower or the large stone cross in the middle combined with 5 bells on the lower two and a giant clock. Besides, carved lacquered details on the moss-covered increase the ancient and sacred shade of the cathedral.
III - A guide to explore Saint Joseph Cathedral of Hanoi
To get a comfortable and enjoyable tour there, you should take a look at these informations:
1 - General information
Tourists don’t have to pay an entrance fee to visit the church. However, visitors need to know the opening hours to be able to visit and see the unique architecture inside the church.
- Monday - Saturday every week: 8 - 11am and 2 - 8pm
- Every Sunday: 7 - 11:30am and 3 - 9pm.
The Mass schedule
- Every Monday: 5:30am and 6:15pm
- Every Saturday: 6:00pm
- Every Sunday: 5am; 7 o'clock; 9 o'clock; 11:00 am (French ceremony); 4pm (ceremony for children); 6pm and 8pm - (ceremony for adults).
Dress code: Because the Saint Joseph Cathedral of Hanoi is a cultural and religious tourist attraction, visitors should put on appropriate clothes. At least, not show your shoulders and knees.
2 - Famous attractions on the surrounding area
From the church, visitors can also easily reach other famous attractions of Hanoi such as:
- Ngoc Son Temple - 800m away
- Hoan Kiem Lake - 400m away
- Old town night market - 700m away
- Dong Xuan Market - 1. km away
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum - 2.2km away
3 - Where to eat - Restaurants near St Joseph Cathedral Hanoi
Around the church, there are many places to try a full range of Asian - European dishes, serving all the needs of customers. Among which the most prominent of course is the Vietnamese street food namely:
- Ice tea and chit chat on a plastic chair where you can sit and observe the life of locals on the street. The price of a cup of ice tea is about 3,000-15,000 VND / cup (0.1 - 0.6 $).
-Hot grilled pork (Nem Nuong) served with divine sauce, fresh vegetables and other fruits will give you an unforgettable taste. The price is also affordable ranging from 30,000 to 35,000 VND / set (1,2 - 1,5 $) .
- Hot crunchy and fragrant pillow cakes go with sauces, herbs can be a perfect snack for anyone who looks for a light meal while wandering around this area. A pillow dish's cost varies from 5,000 to 10,000 VND / piece (0.2 - 0.5 $).
- Porridge, a hot porridge bowl combined with crispy Vietnamese hot fried rice cake (quẩy) brings a very cozy feeling, especially in winter. A bowl of porridge with hot cakes only costs 25,000 - 30,000 VND / bowl (1 - 1.3 $).
Although Hanoi St. Joseph's Cathedral is a historic cultural and spiritual relic, it has also become a familiar attraction for many domestic and foreign tourists. This place has fully preserved the architectural beauty, historical value, religious value of Hanoi with more than 1000 years of culture.
Related keywords: St Joseph Cathedral Hanoi mass times, St Joseph Cathedral Hanoi mass schedule, St Joseph Cathedral Hanoi entrance fee, St Joseph Cathedral Hanoi opening hours, St Joseph Cathedral Hanoi dress code, Saint Joseph Cathedral Hanoi mass schedule