Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, is a famous destination attracting tourists with many architectural works, historical relics, and beautiful landscapes. If you are wondering whether it is enough time to explore all these wonderful things for one day in Hanoi or not then our article below is the best answer to your question.
I - One day in Hanoi itinerary
Moring itinerary - Source: Internet
1 - In the morning
After a warm breakfast with a cup of coffee, take a walk around Hoan Kiem lake in Hanoi old quarter streets for exploring local life and most famous tourist attractions.
7:00 - 7:30: Have breakfast at Pho Thin
Pho Thin, since 1955, is one of the oldest Pho restaurants in Hanoi. Thanks to the "heirloom recipe", the Pho soup has a unique flavor from sweet & rich broth, soft chewy noodles, and tender beef slices. It is served with a crispy crust, fresh lemon juice, vinegar, and chili sauce and lots of herbs.
- Address: No.61 Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Price: 40.0 00 - 55,000 VND/bowl ($1.7 - 2.37)
7:30 - 8:00: Enjoy a cup of Egg Coffee
Egg coffee is the dish should not be missed in a Hanoi 1 day itinerary - Source: Foody
Egg coffee is one of the most famous and unique dishes in Vietnam. The combination of coffee and egg yolks makes the cups of coffee have more flavors and are creamy.
- Address: Giang Cafe - No.39 Nguyen Huu Huan Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Price: 30,000 VND / cup ($1.29)
8:00 - 9:00: Strolling around Hoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake, Ngoc Son Temple, The Huc Bridge and Turtle Tower are important symbols of Hanoi.
- Address: Hoan Kiem Lake, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi City.
- Entrance fee: 30,000 VND/person ($1.3)
9:00 - 10:00: St. Joseph's Cathedral
St. Joseph Cathedral - Source: Eastinhotelsresidence
The next destination in the Hanoi city tour 1 day is the St. Joseph Cathedral - one of the first churches built in Hanoi in the late 18th century. The ancient French style architecture of the church is what makes it outstanding.
- Address: No.40 Nha Chung Street, Hang Trong Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Entrance fee: Free of charge
10:00 - 11:30: Hoa Lo Prison
Hoa Lo Prison (Maison Centrale) was built by the French colonialists in 1896. The total area of 12,000m2 with many detention areas, gruesome execution and torture grounds.
- Address: No.1 Hoa Lo street, Tran Hung Dao ward, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi.
- Ticket price: 30,000 VND / person ($1.3)
2 - What to do at noon in a one day in Hanoi tour?
12:00 - 13:00: Have lunch
You have 2 choices for lunch:
Enjoy La Vong fish balls
Delicious marinated fish pieces are fried on a hot pan with onions and dill. The firm meat of fish is served with noodles, herbs, peanuts and dipped in shrimp sauce/fish sauce.
- Address: No.19-2D, Duong Thanh Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Price: 150,000 - 170,000 VND / person ($6.4 - 7.3)
Enjoy Dac Kim Bun Cha
This is one of the famous Bun Cha restaurants in Hanoi where you can enjoy the flavorful grilled pork & meat balls, crunchy crab rolls. What a great meal for a 1-day-in-Hanoi itinerary.
- Address: No.1 Hang Manh Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi City
- Price: 60,000 VND/serving ($2.5)
13:00 - 13:30: Enjoy a cup of iced tea on sidewalk
We don't know when iced tea on the sidewalk has become a familiar street drink to the Hanoians. The sidewalk iced tea has become a tradition in Hanoi. Sitting on a small plastic chair, enjoying a cool tea cup & peanut candy and admiring the bustling streets for a while is an interesting thing to explore about local life.
- Price: 3,000 - 5,000 VND/glass ($0.12 - 0.25); Peanut candy 3,000 VND/piece ($0.12).
3 - What to see in Hanoi in one day in the afternoon?
Afternoon itinerary - Source: Internet
In the afternoon, you can spend time exploring Hanoi Temple of Literature, Thang Long Imperial Citadel and West Lake to watch the sunset.
13:45 - 14:30: Visit the Temple of Literature
Temple of Literature - the first university in Vietnam, built in 1070 is a place to worship Confucius. This is a great place to explore about Vietnamese traditional architecture from the Le dynasty to the Nguyen dynasty as well as the role of this temple in Vietnam culture.
- Address: No.58 Van Mieu Quoc Tu Giam Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi
- Ticket price: 20.000 VND / person ($0.86).
14:30 - 15:30: Thang Long Imperial Citadel
To the next place of a Hanoi city tour 1 day itinerary, you can visit Thang Long Imperial Citadel - a must-visit historical site in Hanoi which covers an area of 18,395ha with many archaeological items and artifacts.
- Address: No.19C Hoang Dieu Street, Dien Ban Ward, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Ticket price: 30,000 VND/person ($1.3).
15:30 - 16:30: One Pillar Pagoda
Built in 1049 under King Ly Thai Tong, this is a famous spiritual-cultural attraction in Hanoi. The pagoda is built on a stone pillar, meticulously sculpted with many unique pattern details creating a unique block of a lotus flower shape.
One Pillar Pagoda is a tourist spot in a one day trip in Hanoi - Source: Vilandtravel
- Address: No.1 One Pillar Pagoda, Doi Can Ward, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi City
- Ticket price: 25,000 VND/person ($1.07)
16:30 - 18:30: West Lake
West Lake - the largest freshwater lake in Hanoi with an area of 14.8ha, is a great place to stroll around and enjoy street dishes such as shrimp cakes, west lake ice cream, bo bia (Vietnamese popiah) or enjoy a cup of coffee and watch the sunset.
- Address: Thanh Nien Street, Tay Ho District, Hanoi
4 - In the evening
If you have one day in Hanoi, having dinner at one of the top restaurants near West Lake is the best choice. After dinner time, the Hanoi Old Quarter is the most exciting place to visit and experience the vibrant atmosphere of the night market and Hanoi walking street.
18:30 - 19:30: Have dinner at Hung Ben spring rolls
The signature dishes are beef rolls, fried noodles, stirred noodles with vegetables, and egg fried noodles.
- Address: No.33 Ngu Xa Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Price: 20,000 - 55,000 VND/dish ($0.86 - 2.37)
Hoan Kiem Walking Street - Source: Kenh14
19:30 - 21:30: Hoan Kiem Walking Street & Dong Xuan Night Market
For a one day trip in Hanoi, do not miss Hoan Kiem Walking Street with tons of folk games and street performances. Dong Xuan Night Market (18:00 - 22:30 on weekends) is a hub of street food, eye-catching jewelry, souvenirs, and clothes.
- Address: Hoan Kiem Lake, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi.
5 - At night
1900 Le Théatre - Source: Vietnam-guide
For most young people, a night party at a bar or club is probably a great end of the day.
21:30 - 24:00: Bars in Hanoi Old Quarter
Some popular bars in Hanoi Old Quarter:
1900 Le Théatre
- Address: No.8 Ta Hien street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Opening hours: 19:00 - 1:00
King Pirates Pub
- Address: No.24b Hang Giay street, Hang Buom, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi
- Opening hours: 22:00 - 2:00
II - Tips to explore Hanoi in one day
1 - Ideal time
Hanoi walking streets on weekends (Friday to Sunday) are full of young locals and kids. Visiting the Old Quarter’s street this time you can enjoy a “Vietnamese” atmosphere. Therefore, you should travel to Hanoi on weekends.
2 - Vehicles
Taxi is always the best choice.
3 - Accommodations
The best places to stay in Hanoi are hotels & homestays in Hanoi Old Quarter.It is obvious that one day in Hanoi is not enough. This one day route only covers some popular attractions and top things to do in an ideal schedule. For more experience, you need to spend several days.