The distance between Hanoi and Hue is about 670km. The most popular way to get to Hue from Hanoi is taking a direct flight within 1 hour. If you catch a sleeping bus or train, it takes much more time but at cheaper prices.
I - The flights from Hanoi to Hue city
It takes 1 hour to get from Noi Bai airport in Hanoi to Phu Bai airport in Hue
Noi Bai airport
- Location: Phu Minh commune, Soc Son district, Hanoi - 25 km from Hanoi center
- IATA code: HAN
Phu Bai airport
- Location: zone 8, Phu Bai ward, Huong Thuy town, Thua Thien Hue province - 13 km from Hue city
- IATA code: HUI
There are many cheap flights from Hanoi to Hue Vietnam - Source: Medium
You can book direct flight tickets through: Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Air, Bamboo airway or via channels like traveloka, klook,...
Be ready at the airport at least 1 hour before the departure time. The traffic in Hanoi and Hue are quite unstable & unpredictable, to avoid the risks from traffic jams (7:30am - 9am & 4:30pm - 7:30pm), you should pay more attention to your schedule.
II - Trains from Hanoi to Hue information
Traveling by train takes about 14 hours with a distance of over 600km.
- Hanoi train station: No.120 Le Duan street, Van Mieu Ward, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi.
- Hue train station: No.2 Bui Thi Xuan street, Hue city
You can book a hard seat, soft seat, hard berth or soft berth. Of course, a soft berth in a cabin of 4 to 6 with Air-conditioner is highly recommended. The train costs range from $33 - 63.
Trains from Hanoi to Hue schedule:
- Reunification Express Train SE1 13hr 32min: 10:20pm - 11:52am
- Reunification Express Train SE3 13hr 17min: 7:25pm - 8:42pm
- Reunification Express Train SE5 15hr 39min: 3:20pm - 5:59am
- Reunification Express Train SE7 14hr 54min: 6am - 7:54pm
- Livitrans Express Train SE3 14hr 5min: 7:25pm- 9:30am
- Reunification Express Train SE19 13hr 20min: 10:10pm - 9:30am
- Violette Express Train SE1 13hr 32min: 10:20pm - 11:52am
- Violette Express Train SE3 13hr: 7:25pm - 8:42pm
- Laman Express Train SE19 14hr 34min: 10:10pm - 9:30am
You can book train from Hanoi to Hue via https://dsvn.vn/#/, buy directly at the Hanoi train station, from travel agencies in Hanoi Old Quarter. Please remember to carefully check all information (train code, seat number, compartment, upper/lower seat, departure/arrive time & date, email & phone number) and bring your PASSPORT when booking tickets. You should be ready at the train station at least 30min before departure time.
III - Traveling by bus from Hanoi to Hue
Travel time by sleeper bus is about 12 - 15 hours/trip and there are numerous bus companies in Hanoi that offer bus services to Hue. Normally, you can take the local buses at Giap Bat bus station, My Dinh bus station or Nuoc Ngam bus station.
For tourists, it is much more convenient to catch a sleeper bus near Hanoi Old Quarter. Bus from Hanoi to Hue price is from 280,000 to 400,000 VND/person ($12 -17). The bus tickets can be booked at travel agencies or at hotels, and the driver picks you up at your hotel in the Old Quarter area. Some open buses that you can refer to:
The Sinh Tourist bus
- Pick-up: No.52 Luong Ngoc Quyen street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi
- Drop-off: No.12 Hung Vuong street, Hue city
- Departure - Arrival: 6pm - 7am
- Contact: 02838389597
- Ticket price: 280.000 VND/person ($12)
Bus from Hanoi to Hue - Source: Tintuc.hues
- Pick-up: No.459 Tran Khat Chan, Thanh Nhan, Hai Ba Trung, Hanoi
- Drop-off: No.49 Chu Van An street, Phu Hoi ward, Hue City
- Departure - Arrival time: 17:00, 18:00, 18:45 - 9:30, 10:30, 11:15
- Contact: 024 8585 0555 / 090 222 7070 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ticket price: 300,000 VND/person ($13)
Queen cafe bus
- Pick-up: No.208 Tran Quang Khai street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi
- Drop-off: No.11 Doi Cung street, Hue city
- Departure - Arrival time: 18:00, 18:30 - 6:00, 7:00
- Contact: 0243 9036 036
- Ticket price: 250,000 - 280,000 VND/person ($11 - 12)
It can be seen that travelling from Hanoi to Hue Vietnam is extremely easy.