I - Overview
1 - Distance from Hanoi and Saigon
2 - Ways to go to Ho Chi Minh City
- Flight: This is the most popular option, because it saves time and is much more convenient. You will not have to spend a lot of time nor have to go up and down at many points like going by train or bus. We encourage visitors to choose this option.
- Train: this option is more economical than the plane but the travel time is longer, so you must prepare for good health before experiencing such a long distance. However, it is really special as you can see natural scenery during the trip.
- Bus: this option is not selected by many people because the travel time is quite long, making you very tired. But this is also a good option for those who are financially less able to travel by plane and train.
3 - Notes
- Thang Long Bridge - Bac Thang Long Road - Noi Bai Road: with this route, the distance from the city center to Noi Bai airport is about 30km
- Nhat Tan bridge - Vo Nguyen Giap Road - Noi Bai road
- Chuong Duong Bridge - Noi Bai bridge
II - Flights from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
Noi Bai Airport:
- There are 2 terminals for passengers: Terminal T1 (for domestic flights of Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet Airlines and Jetstar Airlines) and Terminal T2 (for international flights of airlines : Vietnam Airlines, Korean Air, China Airlines, Japan Airlines ...)
- Basic services at Noi Bai airport include: Bank & ATM (on the 1st & 2nd floor), free wifi service (Noibai Airport Free Wifi), free drinking service, free battery charging (at T1 and T2), luggage carts (at T1 and T2), luggage storage (at T2), health care (at T1 and T2), tax refund services (at T2), child areas (at T2), and smoking rooms (at the floors of the terminals).
Tan Son Nhat Airport:
- There are 2 terminals for passengers: Domestic Terminal and International Terminal
- Basic services at Tan Son Nhat airport : banking and ATM services (at the gates of domestic and international terminals), health care, luggage storage (counters No.13, 14 on the ground floor of the domestic terminal from 7am - 11pm), play area (2nd floor of isolation area), luggage packing, currency exchange (international terminal near departure No.17, 18, opposite checking counter D), free wifi (TSN Free Wifi Express), free battery charging, chair and sleeping box service ...
Airlines providing Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City flying routes
- Vietnam Airlines: 1,458,000 VND (62.90USD) (round-trip) travel time: 2h15m
- Vietjet: 1,949,893 VND (84.12 USD) (round-trip) travel time: 2h10m
- Bamboo: VND 1,870,844 (USD 80.71) (round-trip) travel time: 2h10m
- Jetstar: 1,161,800 VND (50.12USD) (round-trip) travel time: 2h15m
You may concern: Ho Chi Minh City Travel Guide
III - Taking a train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City
There are 2 types of train: SE train (fast train) and TN train (slow train). With the SE train, it takes you 29 - 33 hours and the TN train takes 40 - 42 hours to arrive. Train code: SE1, SE3, SE5, SE7, TN1
Ticket price fluctuates from 730,000VND to 1,100,000VND (31 USD - 47 USD) depending on kind of seats including hard seat, soft seat, cabin with air conditioning or not, lying bed.
You can book train tickets via the official website of Vietnam Railway Corporation https://dsvn.vn/.
IV - Taking a sleeping bus from Hanoi to Saigon
1 - The coach stations running Hanoi - Ho Chi Minh city
- Ticket price: 860,000 VND
- Departure time: Hanoi (10:00, 15:00, 17:00 - from Nuoc Ngam bus station) TP. HCM (17:30, 15:00, 19:00 - from Mien Dong bus Station) - Travel time: 38 hours
- Contact: 028 39 39 39 39 - 024 36 33 66 99
Hoang Long bus
- Ticket price: 620,000 - 750,000 VND
- Departure time: Hanoi (7h, 13h, 19h30, 21h30 - from Nuoc Ngam bus station) TP. HCM (7h, 17h30, 21h30 - from Mien Dong bus station)
- Travel time: 38 - 40 hours
- Contact: 028 2243 8989 - 028 3511 3113 - 024 3839 8273
Hien Phuoc bus
- Ticket price: 860,000 VND
- Departure time: Hanoi (10h, 15h, 18h - from Giap Bat bus station), TP. HCM (10h, 16h, 20h - from Mien Dong Station)
- Travel time: 38 hours
- Contact: 0243 8644363 - 0976 379 783
2 - How to book tickets
In general, getting from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city is one of the busiest routes in Vietnam. For travellers, taking a flight is the safest and most time-effective way, meanwhile, choosing a bus or train is a long journey with much more interest and experiences. Another famous choice of backpackers is riding or driving along the way of over 1730 km.