From Hanoi, you can travel by motorbike, car, or train to Cat Hai town of Cat Hai District, where you must reach in order to board the ferry or cable car to Cat Ba Island. However, traveling by train is extremely complicated and time-consuming, so Localtravelidea does not recommend you to go by this means.
Cat Ba Island on Google map - Source: Internet
I - Travel from Hanoi to Cat Ba island by bus
The option of traveling by coach is very convenient with a total travel time of about 3.5 hours, supporting pick-up points in the Hanoi Old Quarter area. The coach ticket fare already includes the ferry fee, with an additional surcharge only in case visitors want to take the cable car to Cat Ba Island instead of the ferry.
Catba express - Source: Catbaexpress
Below are some reputable coach companies with good customer service:
- Departure time: 8am and 11am
- Pick up point: Catba Express Office - No.43 Nguyen Huu Huan Street, Ly Thai To Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 084 824 4999
- Ticket price from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island: 230,000 VND / person ($10.15)
Goodmorning Cat Ba
- Departure time: 7:30am, 10:30am and 2pm.
- Pick-up point: Goodmorning Cat Ba Office - No.9B Cho Gao Street, Hang Buom Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 024 3237 3186 - 0888 000 896 - 0913 096 281
- Ticket price: 318,000 VND / person ($14)
- Departure time: 8am, 10:30am, 12:30pm and 2:30pm.
- Pick up point: Daiichi Office - No.96 Nguyen Huu Huan Street, Hang Bac Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0866 465 120 - 024 6654 7070 - 0243 9900 333 - 090 225 2200
- Ticket price to Cat Ba Island from Hanoi: 230,000 VND / person ($10.15)
- Departure time: 8am, 11:30am and 2:30pm.
- Pick up point:
+ Catba Discovery office - No.56 Tran Nhat Duat Street, Dong Xuan Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
+ AEON MALL Long Bien - No.27 Co Linh Street, Long Bien Ward - District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0986 062233 - 0988 558 392
- Ticket price: 220,000 VND / person ($9.7)
II - Travel by motorbike from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island
The journey to Cat Ba Island from Hanoi can be divided into 2 stages including land and sea. If you prefer to be proactive when traveling, you can choose to ride a motorbike to Cat Hai Town, then travel by ferry or cable car to Cat Ba Island.
Mr. Cao motorbike rental - Source: Internet
Here are some reputable motorbike rental shops in Hanoi Old Quarter you can choose from:
Mr. Cao motorbike rental
- Address: No.106 Hang Bac Street, Hang Dao Ward, Hoan Kiem District
- Price: 130,000 - 200,000 VND / day ($5.7 - 8.77)
- Contact: 0912 094 464
Phung motorbike from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island
- Address: No.13 Ngo Huyen Street, Hang Tong Ward, Hoan Kiem District
- Price: 205,000 - 1,140,000 VND / day ($9 - 50)
- Contact: 0965 936 677 - 0904 253 491
- Website: http://www.phungmotorbike.com
Hanoi motorbike rental
- Address: No.34A Nguyen Huu Huan Street, Hoan Kiem District
- Price: 230,000 - 913,000 VND / day ($10 - 40)
- Contact: 0913 047 509 - 0985 642 546
- Website: https://hanoimotorbikerental.com
You can ride a motorbike from Hanoi and stop at Cat Hai Town, then choose to board a boat or take a cable car there to Cat Ba Island.
1 - Combining motorbike and ferry or high-speed train from Hanoi to Cat Ba
- Route: Hanoi - Got Ferry Wharf (Cat Hai Town) - Cai Vieng Wharf (Cat Ba Island)
- Total travel time: 3 hours
Stage 1: Got Ferry Wharf - Cai Vieng Wharf
You have 2 choices including:
- Travel time: 25 minutes
- Price: 45,000 VND / person / time ($2) - motorbike fee included
- The ferry allows you to bring your motorbike on board
By high-speed boat - hydrofoil:
- Travel time: 20 minutes
- Price: 120,000 VND / person / time ($6.6)
- Bus ticket: 30,000 VND / person ($1.32)
How to get from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island? - Source: Internet
- Some boats won’t let you bring your motorbike on board, so the bus will help you to get to the center of Cat Ba Town from Cai Vieng Wharf.
Stage 2: Cai Vieng Wharf - Cat Ba Town center
It takes about 40 minutes to travel by motorbike from Cai Vieng Wharf to Cat Ba Town center on Cat Ba Island. On the way, you pass through low passes along the coast and enjoy the panoramic view of the vast sea with the sound of waves lapping and white foam.
2 - Combining motorbike and cable car from Hanoi to Cat Ba
Cat Hai - Phu Long cable car is a 3-wire cable car that crosses the sea with a length of 3,955m, connecting Dong Bai and Phu Long communes of Cat Hai district.
Arriving at Cat Hai cable car station, you must first park your motorbike at the station's parking lot because it is not possible to carry it on the cable car. The price is 10,000 - 70,000 VND / motorbike / overnight ($0.44 - 3.07)
Stage 1: Cat Hai Town - Phu Long Station
You can buy Cat Hai - Phu Long tickets directly at the station counter, or book tickets through authorized agents of Cat Hai Station and check tickets at the station.
Traveling from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island by cable car is an amazing experience - Source: Internet
Ticket prices are currently applied as follows:
- Children from 1m - 1.4m: 100,000 VND / person / way ($4.4)
- Adult: 150,000 VND / person / way ($6.6)
- Round trip: 300,000 VND / person / way ($13.16)
- Frequency: 10 minutes / cable car from 9am - 11am & 1pm - 5pm
Stage 2: Phu Long Station - Cat Ba Town
Visitors can choose to travel by taxi or bus of Cat Ba discovery to the center of Cat Ba Town.
Cat Ba discovery's bus:
- Ticket: 30,000 VND / way ($1.32)
- Frequency: have to wait for enough people to go
Taxi price: 300,000 VND / car ($13.16)
Above is the information about the journey from Hanoi to Cat Ba Island you can choose for yourself the appropriate route to have a memorable and enjoyable experience in this beautiful archipelago.