From Hanoi city, visitors can take lots of day trips to many famous tourist attractions in the North of Vietnam such as Ha Long Bay, Trang An - Ninh Binh, Mai Chau, Huong Pagoda, Sapa, Hanoi suburb, and so on. Travel time from Hanoi to tourist destinations is about 2 hours to 6 hours depending on the destination. In the following parts, we will give visitors suggestions for day trips departing from Hanoi.
I - Halong bay day trip from Hanoi
Ha Long Bay is about 156 km from Hanoi to the East, which means that you need to spend about 2 hours to travel from Hanoi to HaLong via expressway, or three and a half hours to travel by National Highway 5. Best time to visit Ha Bay Long is around April to June in early summer. The weather is quite cool with a temperature of about 22-28oC, while the average rainfall is low of 83mm per month. The time from September to November is also ideal. The average temperature ranges from 21 to 27oC and the rainfall is about 80mm/ month. It is suitable for swimming, watching the sea, and excursions.
The recommended itinerary to explore Halong day trip from Hanoi is:
7:30 - 8:30: Have breakfast at Pho Thin
- Address: 61, Dinh Tien Hoang Street, Ly Thai To, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi
- Price: 40,000 - 70,000 VND/ bowl (~ $1.72 - 3.01)
8h30 - 11h00: Take a Limousine to Tuan Chau island (you should ask the service provider whether the limousine will drop off at Tuan Chau port or not).
- Traveling time: 2.5h
- Ticket prices: from 180,000 VND to 220,000 VND/ one way (~$7.75 - $9.48).
To have best day trips from hanoi to Halong bay by yourself, you can book a limousine bus:
Phuc Xuyen 9 seater limousine
- Contact: 1900 6799
- Pick-up point: Cau Giay Park, Cau Giay Dist, Hanoi; or the Central Circus, No. 67 Tran Nhan Tong Street, Hai Ba Trung Dist, Hanoi.
- Drop-off point: No. 239, Nguyen Van Cu Street, Ha Long City.
Trung Thanh 9 seater limousine
- Contact: +84 966 896 896
- Pick-up point: Office in Hanoi, Can NV19 villa area Minh Tam, Long Bien Distr, Hanoi.
- Drop-off point: Welcome Gate of Tuan Chau in Ha Long City.
11:00 - 11:30: Transfer from the arriving point to Tuan Chau port by taxi with a price of about 100,000 VND (~ $4.31). Some taxi services in Ha Long are: Mai Linh Taxi: 0203 3 628 628, Hon Gai Taxi: 0203 3 848 484, Ha Long Taxi: 0203 3 626 262.
11:30 - 12:15: Buying a Halong bay day tour from Hanoi with 2 options of 4-hour or 6-hour tour. The total tour contains an entrance ticket and lunch on board. Tours are available at the ticket counter at Tuan Chau port.
- For 4-hour tour: 505,000 VND/ adult (~ 21.76 $); 150,000 VND/ child (~ $ 6.46)
- For 6-hour tour: 555,000 VND/ adult (~ 23.92 $); 200,000 VND/ child (~ $ 8.62)
12:30 - 13:30: Have lunch on board and enjoy the panoramic view of HaLong Bay.
13:30 - 14:30: Visit Thien Cung and Dau Go cave
14:30 - 15:00: Visit the Stone Dog; Dinh Huong Island
15:00 - 16:00: Visit the fishing village of Ba Hang and experience kayak to explore Halong Bay
16:00 - 16:10: Visit Hon Trong Mai (Rooster and Hen Island) - one of the typical symbols of Ha Long Bay.
16:10 - 16:20: Boat dock at the port and bring tourists back to Tuan Chau port.
Note: The Hanoi to Halong bay day trip schedule may change slightly in terms of tour length.
16:20 - 16:40: Call a taxi to the limousine office in Halong for returning to Hanoi.
16:40 - 19:00: Back to Hanoi
Halong Bay from above - Source: VnEpress
Tourism companies providing Hanoi - Ha Long Day Tours:
DanaTravel Travel and Communication Center
- Address: 24, Van Kiep Lane, Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0702 767 588.
- Tour price: 700,000 VND/ person (~ $ 30.17)
Go Asia Travel
- Head office: 20 Hang Muoi, Hoan Kiem district, Hanoi.
- Contact: (+84) 3923 4105
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tour price: from 750,000 - 1,800,000VND person/ tour (~ $32.32 - $78).
II - Top day trips from Hanoi to Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh is one of the most famous tourist attractions and historical sites in the North of Vietnam. The province is located about 94.2 km from Hanoi capital (CT01 route) or 104 km ( QL1A - QL10 - QL38B route). The total time corresponding to the different route is from 2h to 2.5h.
Hanoi and Ninh Binh - Source: Unsplash
The favorable time to visit Ninh Binh is from May to June because this is the golden ripe rice season in Tam Coc. Moreover, this also falls in the middle of summer in the North. The temperature is high and warm, about 25-30oC. The low rainfall and dry weather is suitable for tourism activities and outdoor experiences.
Suggested of the best Ninh Binh day tour from Hanoi:
7:30 - 9:00: Travel from Hanoi to Ninh Binh by Limousine bus.
9h00 - 11h30: Getting around Ninh Binh by taxi or renting motorbike
Motorbike/ scooter rental in Ninh Binh
- Dung Manh motor/ scooter rental: Address: No.16, Ngo Gia Tu street, Nam Binh, Ninh Binh city; Contact: 0984 539 259; Price: 100,000 - 120,000 VND/ day (~ $4.31-5.17).
- Tam Coc motor/ scooter rental: Address: Dam Khe Ngoai, Hoa Lu, Ninh Binh; Contact: 0946 905 942; Price: 100,000 - 150,000 VND / day (~ $4.31-6.46).
Taxi services in Ninh Binh
- Ninh Binh Taxi: 0229 3 633 788
- Mai Linh Taxi: 0299 6 25 25 25
- Minh Long Taxi: 0229 3 88 11 22
11:30 - 13:00: Have lunch at Hieu De Restaurant at Ninh Hai, Hoa Lu, Ninh Binh. It is one of the best restaurants serving famous local dishes, especially dishes made from goat with the price of 70,000 - 350,000 VND/ dish (~ $3.01 - 15.08).
13:00 - 15:00:
Option 1: Tam Coc day trip from Hanoi: Tam Coc is one of the top favorite attractions in Ninh Binh where you can take a boat trip to explore the amazing caves. Along the way of rowing the boat down the Ngo Dong river, tourists can capture the most impressive pictures of karst mountains surrounded by lush rice fields, and green forest.
Get to Tam Coc wharf, take the sampan and go along the Ngo Dong river to visit Tam Coc
- Sightseeing tickets: 120,000 VND / person / time; Children under 1m4: 60,000 VND / person / time
- Boat ticket: 150,000 VND / boat / one way (2 foreign guests) or 120,000 VND / person.
Option 2: Trang An day trip from Hanoi: Travel to the Trang An wharf, book a boat trip to visit Trang An eco-tourism complex, which is about 3km from the South of Hoa Lu ancient capital.
- Entrance fee: 250,000 VND/ person (~ $ 10.77) for a boat of 4-6 people.
- Tour guide hiring fee: 300,000 VND/ tour (~ $ 12.93).
15:00 - 17:30: Visit and explore Mua cave. Entrance ticket: 100,000 VND/ person (~ $4.31). Coming to the cave, visitors can climb up the mountain and enjoy panoramic views over Tam Coc.
17:30 - 19:30: Return to Hanoi
Ninh Binh - Source: Giau Tran
Tourism companies providing Ninh Binh day trip from Hanoi:
DanaTravel Travel and Communication Center
- Address: No. 24 Van Kiep Lane, Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0702 767 588
- Tour price: 700,000 VND/ adult (~ $ 30.17)
Tam Coc Travel Joint Stock Company
- Address: 4B Cau Go Str, Hoan Kiem Dist, Ha Noi.
- Contact: (+8424) 38245656 / 38255656
- Website: tamcoctravel.com
- Tour price: from 1,150,000 VND /person / tour (~ $50)
- Address: 12th Floor, 70 - 72 Ba Trieu Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
- Contact: 0906 355 542.
- Tour price: 750,000 VND / person / tour (~ $ 32.3)
III - One day trip from Hanoi to Mai Chau
About 150 km from Hanoi city is Mai Chau district in Hoa Binh province. Just spending 3.5h traveling by car along the NH6 - NH15 route, you will reach the destination. Mai Chau is famous for beautiful valleys, green rice fields, as well as the unique culture of the Thai ethnic people.
Hanoi - Mai Chau - Source: Internet
The best time to travel to Mai Chau is from March to May when the temperature is around 18-25oC while it rarely rains. This is also the blooming time of Ban flowers, a typical flower of the Northwest mountains. Another favorable time for tourism lasts from September to October.
Suggested itineraries of one day trip from Hanoi to Mai Chau:
7:00 - 9:40: Travel from Hanoi to Mai Chau by Manh Kien 9 seater limousine.
- Ticket price: 140,000 VND/ person/ one-way (~ $6.03)
- Departure place: No. 222, Tran Duy Hung street (Big C Thang Long gate), Trung Hoa ward, Cau Giay district, Hanoi.
- Arrive place: Mai Chau town, Mai Chau district, Hoa Binh province
- Contact: 035 479 1111
9:00 - 12:00: Visit Ban Lac or Lac village in Mai Chau Valley which is famous for the architecture of Thai houses (local stilt houses) and traditional Thai dances.
To travel from Mai Chau town to Lac village, visitors can choose to rent a motorbike or taxi:
Taxi in Mai Chau
- Mai Chau - Hoa Binh Taxi: 0218 3 86 87 88
- Mai Chau Taxi: 0218 386 7431
Motorbike rental in Mai Chau:
It is highly recommended to hire a scooter to explore those day trips out of Hanoi.
- Chung Lan motorbike rental: Mai Chau town, Hoa Binh; contact: 0838 398 122; price: 100,000 - 120,000 VND/ car/ day (~ $4.31 - 5.17).
- Tiger Motor: Mai Chau town, Mai Chau, Hoa Binh; contact: 0989 986 885; price 100,000 - 150,000 VND/ car/ day (~ $4.3 - 6.46).
12:00 - 13:30: Lunch time at restaurant at Ban Lac Mai Chau restaurant
- Address: at 38 Ban Lac 2, Mai Chau, Hoa Binh
Lunch menu includes many indigenous dishes such as bamboo shoots; stream fish, etc. at the price ranging from 80,000 - 200,000 VND/ set of 8-10 dishes (~ $3.5 - 8.6).
14:00 - 16:00: Explore Mai Chau by bicycle and visit brocade stalls. Visitors can rent a bicycle right at the lunch restaurant and continue to explore the surrounding places.
16:00 - 19:00: Return to Hanoi.
Tourism companies providing day tour from Hanoi to Mai Chau:
Mai Chau Travel Trading & Service Co., Ltd
- Address: Song Da Building, No. 162A, Nguyen Trai, Thanh Xuan, Hanoi
- Contact: 094 179 6556
- Tour price: 450,000 VND/ person/ tour (~ $19).
Hanoi Sinh Cafe Tour
- Address: No. 3 Hang Phen Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi City
- Contact: 0243 999 83 45
- Tour price: 650,000 VND/ person/ tour (~ $28).
IV - Sapa day trip from Hanoi
Sapa town is one of the most impressive destinations in the North of Vietnam. In Sapa, visitors will be overwhelmed by the romantic scenery, inherent fresh air, and colorful brocade dresses of local people. Sapa town is about 316 km from Hanoi city, so it will take about 5 hours to get there.
Hanoi - Sapa - Source: Internet
The best time to visit is from September to November. It is the rice harvest period, when the yellow of terraced rice fields spreads all over the terraced fields. The weather is dry and the comfortable temperature is about 18 - 25oC.
Suggested itineraries of the best day trip from Hanoi to explore Sapa by yourself:
22:00 - 5:00: The night before, tourists will spend the time traveling from Hanoi to Sapa. It takes about 5 hours to travel by a sleeping bus. Recommend to book Green Bus with the price is 250,000 VND/ person/ one-way ticket (~ $11).
- Departure place: No.15 Hang Tre street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi.
- Arrive place: No.618 Dien Bien Phu, Sapa town
- Contact: 097 670 82 83
5:00 - 7:00: Travelers can rest and have breakfast at Ong Ha restaurant at No.468 Dien Bien Phu street, Sapa town with a price of about 35,000 VND/ dish (~ $1.5).
7:00 - 8:00: The distance from the restaurant to the Fansipan peak ticket counter visitors can call a taxi for the price of about 50,000 VND/ 4-seater car/ one-way (~ $2.15). Taxi in Sapa:
- Mai Linh Taxi: 0214 3 834 834
- Hung Vuong Taxi: 0214 3 833 388
- Sapa Green Taxi 0214 36 36 363
8:00 - 12:00: On the way to Fansipan peak of a one day tour from Hanoi, tourists should visit Trinh pagoda (Bao An Thien Tu) and the 21.5-meter-high Amitabha Buddha statue. Walking and shopping at the Trade center at the cable car station.
- Cable car ticket: 800,000 VND/ person/ one-way ticket (~ $35)
- Mountain train ticket: 700,000 VND/ person/ one-way ticket (~ $3).
12:00 - 13:30: Have lunch and take a rest at Anise Sapa Restaurant with a rich menu of Vietnamese and European dishes.
- Address: No.21 Xuan Vien, Sapa town
- Opening hours: 9:00 - 22:30
- Price: 50,000 - 500,000 VND/ dish (~ $ 2.15 - 21.55).
13:30 - 15:00: Wander and explore the romantic scenery of Cat Cat enthnic village. Visiting the village, you can rent traditional costumes of local people, take some photos, and learn more about the daily life of indigenous people. At the same time, you can also buy souvenirs such as brocade fabric, keychain, jewelry made of silver, bison, salt combined with herbs, aromatic bags, etc. You can watch the green and lush terraced fields as well as learn about the weaving process of the local people. This is one of the best day tours from Hanoi with a strong itineraries but really worthwhile.
- Entrance fee: 30,000 VND/ child (~ $1.3); 70,000 VND/ adult (~ $3)
- Traditional costume rental price: 100,000 - 150,000 VND/ set (~ $6.5).
15:00 - 17:00: Visit and explore the beautiful nature of Sapa at Ham Rong mountain. Don’t forget to visit interesting places such as peach garden, statue garden of 12 zodiacs, flower garden, Thach Lam stone garden, sky gate cloud hunting.
Ticket price: 20,000 VND/ child (~ $0.86); 70,000 VND/ adult (~ $3)
17:00 - 20:00: Have dinner at Minh Tam Restaurant with dishes being made from sturgeon or other specialties.
- Address: No. 09 Fansipan Street, Sapa Town
- Opening hours: 8:30 - 22:30
- Price: 80,000 - 500,000 VND / dish (~ $3.5 - 21.6).
8:00 - 21:00: Visitors can spend time visiting the square and stone church.
21:30 - 4:10: Return to Hanoi
Source: Doan Tuan
Tourism companies providing day trips from hanoi to sapa
- Address: No. 33, Hoang Lien Son Street, Sapa town
- Contact: 1900 2869
- Tour price: 2,253,000 VND/ person(~ $97).
From Hanoi, visitors will have many choices of one day tours to popular tourist attractions in north Vietnam.