Located in the downstream area of the Tien River tributaries, Ben Tre Vietnam is covered by a dense system of rivers, streams and canals that contribute to the formation of fertile rice fields and fruit gardens. This is one of the best destinations for an ecotourism trip in Vietnam. Ben Tre in Vietnam is also known as the land of Coconut. Coconut nearly appears everywhere and goes deep into the culture and lifestyle of the locals. There are many dishes and specialties made from coconuts, such as: waxed coconut, coconut water, coconut candy. Đạo Dừa, a kind of religion related to coconut has also created and is still associated with the beliefs and ways of the local people.
I - Where is Ben Tre Vietnam?
Boats load full off coconut - Source: Carback
Located in the Mekong Delta area in the south of Vietnam, this province is about 85km to the south of Ho Chi Minh City. It has a natural area of 2,360 km2 and is located on three islets (An Hoa islet, Bao islet, and Minh islet) and is deposited by alluvium from four branches of the Mekong River.
Ben Tre Province has a fan shape with a pointed head located upstream, with a system of interlaced canals. To the north, it borders Tien Giang Province, with the common boundary being the Tien River. The West and South borders Vinh Long Province and Tra Vinh Province, the common boundary is the Co Chien River. The East borders the East Sea with a coastline of 65 km.
- Administrative units: 01 capital city and 08 districts
+ Capital city: Ben Tre City
+ Districts: Chau Thanh, Thanh Phu, Cho Lach, Binh Dai, Giong Trom, Mo Cay Bac, Mo Cay Nam, Ba Tri
- Postal code: 86000
- Airport: The nearest airport is Can Tho International Airport in Can Tho City
II - The best things to see & do in Ben Tre Vietnam
1 - The lush orchards
Visiting the orchards, you can immerse in the lush fruit trees and have a chance to taste the fresh sweet tropical fruits at the gardens. Some famous orchards to visit:
Cai Mon Orchard
Located in Vinh Thanh Commune, Cho Lach District, Cai Mon Orchard is the top place to visit where you can see lots of eye-catching ripe fruits such as grapefruits,durian, rambutan, pomelo, mango, longan, plum…
Entrance fee: 40,000 - 50,000 VND/person ($1.3 - 2.2).
Cho Lach Ornamental Flower Village (Cho Lach Ben Tre Vietnam)
Cho Lach District is a land that has long been famous for its fragrant flowers and sweet fruits, which are accreted by the alluvium of the Tien River. This place is located in the fertile land, the river is calm and convenient for agricultural development, especially growing flowers… And Cho Lach Ornamental Flower Village located in Vinh Thanh Commune, Cho Lach District is the most outstanding one.
At this Ben Tre village, there are hundreds of flower varieties from familiar species to rare and expensive flowers, the most typical are roses, yellow apricots, marigolds, bougainvillea, dahlias, carnations, ornamental plants, coconut flowers,…
Entrance fee: 30,000 - 50,000 VND/person ($1.3 - 2.2).
2 - Take a boat trip at Phung Islet & Phu Da Islet
Taking a boat tour is considered as one of the best things to do in Ben Tre Vietnam. You take a boat trip along the canal, around the islets to admire the local life and visit the orchards full of fruits. You can see how the locals meet their lives by working hard. On small boats, people will drop fishing nets or use fishing rods to earn food for their families. The top islets to visit:
Phung Islet is located in Tan Thach Ward, Chau Thanh District, about 27km from Ben Tre City Center. After reaching here by boat along TIen river, you can enjoy the cool fresh atmosphere created by lush green coconut trees and fruit gardens. Listening to the peaceful melodies of traditional music songs, visiting the candy factories and handcraft villages, exploring the Coconut religion are nice things to do.
- Entrance fee: Free.
- The day tour price: 560,000 VND / person ($24.1) (including fair for outdoor activities and lunch).
Phu Da Islet
Phu Da Islet is located in Phu Da Hamlet, Vinh Binh Commune, Cho Lach District, is another ideal place for a Ben Tre boat tour. Aside from visiting the fruit garden and taking a boat ride, you should not miss visiting the Ba Chua Xu Temple or Phu Da Divine Temple and trying to taste the local dishes. The rice snail dish is a must-try typical specialty here.
- Tour price: 448,000 VND / person ($19.3).
Quy Islet located between Tan Thach and Quoi Son communes, Chau Thanh district, about 23km from the city center is another nice islet to visit.
3 - Vam Ho Bird Sanctuary
If you are wondering what to do in Ben Tre Vietnam, then do not skip visiting Vam Ho Bird Sanctuary. Located in My Hoa and Tan Xuyen Commune, Ba Tri District, this is home to 500,000 storks & cauldrons, 84 different bird species, typical mangrove species, wild forest palms and plentiful vegetation such as guava trees, sarong, soursop, coconut water, mangrove, scrub, dates, umbrellas, sea vegetables. Walking to the forest, exploring the lives of other species, enjoying the fresh air and leaning back in a hammock is a nice experience to be closer to nature.
Tour price: 650,000 VND / person ($28).
4 - Lang Be Tourist Area - top attractions in Ben Tre Province
Lang Be Tourist Area is located at Hamlet 6, An Khanh Commune, Chau Thanh District, about 75km from the city center. The best time to visit is from June to August (ripe fruit season). Lang Be Tourist Area is a nice place to visit for sightseeing and experiencing local people’s life. This is a typical southern village with thatched-roof houses located close to the canal, interspersed with green coconut trees and surrounded by fruit gardens.
At Lang Be Tourist Area in Ben Tre Vietnam, some fun things to do are crossing the monkey bridges (monkey bridge is a unique type of bridge in Vietnam), swinging a single rope, and slapping a ditch to catch fish. Visiting the orchard for enjoying fresh fruits and enjoying the local dishes & specialties are other great experiences here.
- Entrance fee: Free
- Game ticket price: 100,000 VND / person ($4.3)
- Fanpage: https://vi-vn.facebook.com/nhahanglangbe
For more interesting Ben Tre tours, you can book through:
Con Phung Travel and Trading Service Company
+ Address: Hamlet 10, Tan Thach Commune, Chau Thanh District
+ Website: www.conphungtourist.com
+ Email: email@example.com
+ Call: (0275) 3822 198 - Hotline: 0918 267 715
III - Top specialties in Ben Tre Vietnam
Some of the famous foods in this province could be mentioned as:
Coconut Rice - A specialty with an unforgettable taste
The main ingredients of this rice dish are rice and coconut. After washing with water and draining, put the rice in the coconut and then steam it with coconut water. Locals often eat coconut rice with fried shrimp with coconut milk. When enjoying coconut rice, you can feel the sweetness of coconut, the softness of white rice.
Coconut candy, coconut jelly, coconut milk, coconut oil, handicraft products from coconut... These are all products that visitors can easily find and buy here. Moreover, the price is extremely affordable and ensures the best product quality.
Braised goby with coconut
Braised goby with coconut is the main dish in the meals of the people here. This dish is meticulously prepared and stored in about 1-2 hours with low heat with strong meat goby, bacon, and coconut milk. The price is about 100,000 - 200,000 VND / pot ($4.3 - 8.6).
With dozens of green orchards, Ben Tre Mekong Delta Vietnam is also famous for many types of fruits, including rambutan, oranges, grapefruit, mango, tangerines,... Most orchards are alluvial soils that add high nutrition to sweet and beautiful fruits.
In addition, there are many other tasty specialties that visitors can enjoy when participating in daily tours, especially when having lunch at the orchards.
IV - Ben Tre hotels & resorts
Some places to stay that you can choose from when exploring this destination such as:
1 - Ben Tre resort system
Forever Green Resort
- Location: Phu Khuong Hamlet, Phu Tuc Commune, Chau Thanh District
- Room rate: 850,000 VND / night ($37)
- Contact: 0275 3 618 618
- Website: http://www.forevergreenresort.com
Ben Tre Riverside Resort
- Location: No.708 Nguyen Van Tu street, Ward 7, Ben Tre City
- Room rate: 600,000 - 1,150,000 VND / night ($26 - 50)
- Contact: 0275 3 554 888
- Website: https://bentreriverside.com
Mango Home Riverside
Mango Home Riverside - Source: Booking
- Location: Nghia Huan Hamlet, My Thanh Village, Giong Trom District
- Room rate: 550,000 VND / night ($24)
- Contact: 0275 3 511 958
- Fanpage: https://vi-vn.facebook.com/Mangohomeriverside
2 - The best hotels in Ben Tre Vietnam
Some of the most outstanding hotels that you can refer to:
Hung Long Hotel
- Location: Hamlet 1, Luong Hoa Commune, Giong Trom District
- Room rate: 150,000 - 200,000 VND / night ($6.5 - 8.6)
- Contact: 0275 3 862 379
- Website: https://khachsanhunglong.com
- Location: No.151C My An C, My Thanh An Village, Ben Tren City Center
- Room rate: 250,000 - 450,000 VND / night ($11 - 19)
- Contact: 0938 072 747
- Fanpage: https://vi-vn.facebook.com/OasisHotelbentre
Xom Dua Nuoc Hotel
- Location: Lo Cau Nha Viec, Hamlet 3, Phu Nhuan Commune, Ben Tren City
- Room rate: 300,000 - 700,000 VND / night ($13 - 30)
- Contact: 090 385 76 07
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/xomduanuoc
3 - Homestays in Ben Tre Vietnam
- Location: Hamlet 9, Phuoc Long commune, Giong Trom District
- Room rate: 600,000 - 750,000 VND / night ($26 - 32)
- Contact: 0987 299 718
- Website: http://www.mekonghome.com
Quoc Phuong Riverside Homestay
- Location: This Ben Tre accommodation is located at No.293, Group 17, Phu Xuan Hamlet, Phu Tuc Commune, Chau Thanh District
- Room rate: 150,000 VND / night ($ 6.5)
- Contact: 0987 725 107
Nguyet Que Homestay
- Location: No.75D, Hamlet 4, Nhon Trach District
- Room rate: 280,000 - 350,000 VND / night ($12 - 15)
- Contact: 0982 083 138
- Website: https://nguyetquehomestay.com
V - Other information
1 - How to travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Ben Tre?
The distance between the two cities is about 85km, and you have the following choices:
Traveling by bus
Travel time is about 2 hours. Bus ticket price is 70,000 - 110,000 VND ($3 - 4.7). Some buses to be considered:
Hoang Khai Bus
- Pick-up: No.50 Nguyen Chi Thanh street, Ward 2, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City at 7:30am
- Drop-off: No.304 Doan Hoang Minh street, Phu Tan Ward, Ben Tre City at 9:45am
- Bus ticket price: 90,000 VND / person ($3.8)
- Contact: 028 38353953 / 028 38337977 or 0903061101
- Fanpage: https://www.facebook.com/xekhachhoangkhai
Thao Chau Bus
- Pick-up: No.70B Hung Vuong street, Ward 9, District 5, Ho Chi Minh City
- Drop-off: No.122A Nguyen Thi Dinh Street, Phu Tan Ward, Ben Tre City
- Departure time: 4:30am, 6:15am, 6:45am, 7:15am, 7:45am, 8:15am, 1:15pm. 2:15pm, 3:15pm, 4:45pm
- Bus ticket price: 70,000 - 90,000 VND
- Contact: 028 3835.1917 or 028 3833.9954
Travel by motorbike
Motorbike route - Source: Adventureinyou
It is relatively easy to go from Ho Chi Minh city to Ben Tre Vietnam by motorbike. Motorbike rental fee in Ho Chi Minh City is about 100,000 - 250,000 VND/day ($4.3 - 11). Some motorbike rental shops in Ho Chi Minh City:
Thanh Lam motorbike rental shop
- Address: No.17C Nguyen Thi Minh Khai Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
- Contact: 0902 840 361
Style Motorbikes motorbike rental shop
- Address: No.42/24 Tran Dinh Xu Street, Co Giang Ward, District 1
- Contact: 0915.139.796
Dragon Bikes motorbike rental shop
- Address: No.182/5A De Tham Street, Cau Ong Lanh Ward, District 1
- Contact: 0909 283 280
2 - An overview about Ben Tre weather
This province is located in the sub-equatorial monsoon tropical climate, with two distinct seasons: rainy season from May to November & dry season from December to April:
- Average annual temperature: 26-27oC
- Average rainfall: 2000 - 2300mm.
With a coastline of 65km, but this province is less affected by storms or tropical depressions, dense river system, cool mild weather conditions almost all year round. The best time to come here is from June to August, when there is less rain and this time is the season of ripe fruit.
3 - Look up Ben Tre Vietnam map
This is a quick look into Ben Tre Province Vietnam from the Local Travel Idea in terms of top attractions, accommodation, food, and a brief of weather. It is hoped that this article provides some useful information to you.