I - Origin and classification of bamboo in Vietnam
II - The role of Vietnamese bamboo in culture
- Related topic: Vietnamese culture
III - Vietnamese bamboo tree in daily life
- Bamboo stem: used as a tool to cook typical dishes as 'com lam' or used to make traditional music instruments such as flute, T’rưng, khèn,... Besides, they are also sliced up for making crafts, baskets, chopsticks, toothpicks, bamboo cages, bamboo dragonflies, bamboo pinwheels, handicrafts - bamboo, rattan ...and especially bamboo straws Vietnam , an environmental protection product designed to replace plastic straws
- Bamboo leaves: containing several medicinal properties, therefore, they are used in traditional herbal remedies of ancient times.
- Young bamboo bud, also known as bamboo shoots: used to make several popular dishes such as bamboo shoots salad, fried bamboo shoots, sour bamboo shoots soup .
IV - Vietnamese bamboo in art
According to Architecture Magazine of Vietnam Association of Architecture, Bamboo Wing Bamboo House (located in Flamingo Dai Lai Resort) which was designed by architect Vo Trong Nghia has received many prestigious awards:
- In 2011, Bamboo Wing took the International Architecture Awards (IAA).
- In 2012, Bamboo Wing received the FuturArc Prize
- In mid-June 2012, Bamboo Wing won the Green Architecture category - for green buildings of the Good Design Award.
- In 2014, Bamboo Wing received the award from the Architects Regional Council Asia (ARCASIA).
Due to to the Chicago Athenaeum Architecture and Design Museum, bamboo architecture Vietnam 'Nha tre Ca phe Gio va Nuoc' located at 6 / 28T Block 3, Phu Tho ward, Thu Dau Mot city, Binh Duong province, of Vo Trong Nghia architect, has won the International Architecture Awards 2008 (International Architecture Awards - IAA 2008). This project was inspired by wind, water, and bamboo creating a close bond between humans and nature.
Bamboo Circus Vietnam show
Bamboo is not only used in life, architectural furniture, but also in performing arts in Vietnam. In a show named "A O show" - a special show of the Vietnamese Bamboo Circus was performed for the first time at the Sydney Opera House in June 2019 bringing Vietnamese artists and arts to a new level.
The special thing is that the main props in the show are bamboo - a familiar item to every Vietnamese. This impressive show surprised the audience with the delicate transformation of the bamboo tree. The content of the performance is not only re-enacting scenes of everyday cultural activities but also conveying to viewers the soul of folk culture through light, sound, and stage arrangement.
- The show "My Village" is also one of the first Vietnamese bamboo circus shows that tour throughout Europe with 300 shows in 9 countries.
- The show “Teh Dar” is the only Vietnam bamboo circus show that honors the culture of the Central Highlands people, which has also traveled across Europe with 40 citites.
Bamboo in Vietnam is obviously a familiar image in every countryside associated with the childhood of a number of generations. Travelers can easily find the image of bamboo, as well as souvenir products from bamboo while traveling in Vietnam.